Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transmission filter brands/dangers

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MT_Merc 
#1 ·
Guys,

I have to service the transmission, and I'm wondering if the brand of filter is as critical here as it is for the oil filter. My guess is that it is, possibly more so, since it stays in for a longer time period, but I just wanted to reach out and see what you think. Typically, I use strictly Mann filters on my car, and have had no issues with them. I need to get this done, and I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for it to come in, or use a Wix or some other brand.

Regards,

Rob

#5 ·
I always stick with either OE or Mann for everything. You're always safe that way, and there's no questions you're getting the best stuff possible.

I have a friend who is into W124 chassis cars, and he swears that nothing but OE and Mann filters work in the transmissions. Anything else hoses things up, he claims.

Dan

#8 ·
There is, I believe it was specific to the early R129. Wish I could remember the part number, I've even got one that I plan to put in my SEC next time I change the transmission fluid. I know you can find it here somewhere if you do enough searching. The difference is that the improved filter has two inlets, one each on the left and right side of the housing, and a piece that slides back and forth to block off one side and ensure the transmission is drawing fluid during hard cornering.

As for which filter, OEM, obviously, Mann, and Hengst should all be good. Wix might be good, but I did return a fuel filter for my Mercedes because it was made in China. Also, I think Mahle (not to be confused with Meyle) may be a good choice. I recently used one of their oil filters - looked good, and made in Austria...

#7 ·
The transmission is a component that is not easy to remove and repair, is not cheap to do it if necessary, and the filter is not changed very often. For all those reasons, IMO the extra few dollars for an OEM filter is money well spent. If we'd be talking about the P/S pump's filter, I would not advise the same. Just my opinion.

#10 ·
I went out and dug out the two new transmission filter I have sitting around. One is a MB replacement for the 126, the other is Elring and is the R129 part. The part number on that is 129 277 01 95. The upper half of the two filters appears identical, and the only difference other than the inlet is that the R129 filter has a longer mounting tab on one side with a third screw hole. Everything lines up the same and I'm confident it'll work on a 560 SEC/SEL.

Not sure what to say about the quality of the Elring, other than it looked solid and I didn't see any significant differences from the MB filter. The only other thing is that the W126 Elring filter kit is less than half the price of the OEM. Not sure if that should be a concern or not; the Mann filter is a few dollars more, but still around half the price.

#13 ·
Can't remember exactly how much I paid as it was two years ago, but it was something like that. The older-style (single inlet) Elring filter and gasket set is only $10 from Autohausaz. Not sure if that means a cheaply made filter - it could be a closeout item, for one. I notice the "newer" filter from MB is nearly $60; that seems excessive, especially considering the "older" MB filter is around $25. That little flapper valve shouldn't be enough to double the price.

Hard to make a firm recommendation here. With regard to Elring, the filter I have looks like it's decent quality, and I'm not sure if just being cheaper should be a concern. Sometimes, the only thing the Mercedes markup gets you over a reputable aftermarket brand is a part number and star stamped into the part, but there are definitely cases where the extra cost is money well spent. The reputable aftermarket brands should be ok - in my experience, Mahle, Mann, and Hengst in particular tend to be OE quality or nearly so - it's just that this is one of those things where you could be out a lot of money if it fails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.