Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

If you have installed the 19mm Hellwig sway bar...

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  John350 
#1 ·
There have been a few comments about the angle of the sway bar link when installing the Hellwig 19mm sway bar. Since we're about to place another order, I'd like to get a feel for the nature and degree of the problem. I went out an looked at mine and found that there really isn't any issue on one side of the car., On the other side (the left, I think) there was a slight misalignment. This makes me wonder if it is just normal variation from car to car, a difference between the left and right sides, or variation between bars.

I measured my OEM bar at 50.63" wide. Hellwig's print shows 50.25"; the difference does not account for the reported misalignment.

So, I'm looking for answers to the following questions:
First, did you have any significant misalignment?
Second, if so, was it on both sides?
If not, which side?
Lastly, do you feel it is worth addressing?

TIA

See less See more
#2 ·
I installed one of these last year with the metal links (new). I "centered" the bar best I could and hooked the links up before tightening the bar down and mine looks very similar to yours John. The links (mounted in the center holes in the bar btw) "lean" in slightly as yours do. I'm no expert but I don't think there is any need to address this as long as this next run of bars are made to the specs of the last run. During the install I checked 9 ways to Sunday for any clearance issues and found none. Very satisfied with this definite improvement to the suspension in that the body roll is practically non existent compared to what was there with the factory bar

#3 ·
I raised a flag about this last time. The difference between the two sway bar dimensions (0.19" per side) doesn't help, but it does not entirely explain the angled links. I think the difference is mostly caused by the geometry of the new metal links. The picture below is one I found on Google and I just added the red lines to show the difference. The less offset of the metal links plus the 0.19"/side is (IMO) what's causing the angled links.

If everybody is happy, no worries. Mine is still in the box, never touched it since I got it, will install it sometime in the future. I will compensate the angle/side at that time.

Attachments

#7 ·
It would help to do measurements in mm/metric rather than in inches/standard. Too much variations when talking in 1/8ths I've found.

As to the angle differences of the links, the ones in the photo above are not set at the same angle to do a fair comparison. Also note that the threaded part of the ball and joint of the link can be moved as it has play. I don't feel there's any big difference if any at all.

#8 ·
It would help to do measurements in mm/metric rather than in inches/standard. Too much variations when talking in 1/8ths I've found.
This is not a component that requires extremely precise overall dimension. The 1/8" mark of the measuring tape was above the edge, so that's what it is. If the 1/16" mark would had been over the edge, I would have quoted so. If there is measuring error, per side is only half of that.

As to the angle differences of the links, the ones in the photo above are not set at the same angle to do a fair comparison. Also note that the threaded part of the ball and joint of the link can be moved as it has play. I don't feel there's any big difference if any at all.
I agree, but that was the only one comparison picture I could find on the Internet. However, the sway bars (original and the new one) do not appear to have so much difference between their overall dimensions to explain the angle of the link, so then what's causing the angle of the metal links?

Like I said, if everybody is happy with it, don't worry about it. I will deal with mine my own way when I get there.

#16 ·
Just a quick follow up: We have identified the "problem" (I use the term loosely since there have been no issues as a result, other than esthetics) and it will be corrected in the current batch.

I will point out, however, that part of the problem has to do with the geometry of the steel links and that will not go away. However, the angle should be less and the same on both sides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.