Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anyone know where I can find a km/h speedo?

2K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  w140_lover 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I am helping my friend export a 560SEL from the US to South American, he wants the euro km/h speedo now the dual speedo on the USA cars. Mercedes said they cannot help source me this part since its not an USA part. Anyone know where to look? new or used in good condition is fine...

#2 ·
The proper speedometer for the 560SEL would be one that shows up to 260km/h. All others had 240km/h readings. Make sure that when you find a kmh speedometer, that you have the right one.

#8 ·
w126 uses electronic whereas r107 cable-driven, at least afaik.

The 107 switched to electric around 1979-1980.

I do believe you'd want the donor car to have the same diff ratio as the recipient. I'm not entirely sure the diff ratios of the 560sl and 560sel are the same, but I suspect both are 2.47.

#7 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Speak to this guy
Restoration Example - Mercedes - 1989 300SEL ? Cruise Control Repair

He will rebuild his cluster to as new factory design faces but in km/h and check the calibration as well to ensure the speedo reading is accurate. They will look factory brand new in correct MB spec face

Or buy the faces direct from these guys (Heiler Tacho Design ) who make the faces as per factory design
W126
Thanks, I looked all over on that website for a contact info for the guy who restores them, I cannot find it...

The faceplate is not a bad idea, but not sure I will know how to do it or would know anyone locally who would...

#11 ·
Its a speedometer with that has the ASR warning lamp and someone adde "THE". However, that speedometer is not original to the cluster as the cluster does not have a ASR display in the lower right.

#21 ·
You can type in also part description. What description MB uses for a certain part is anyone's guess, though. But I'm sure you can search with "instrument cluster" or what ever and see what happens.

#25 ·
You're going to have a tough time getting a confirmation on this, but I can't help but think they have to be interchangeable. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to have different cables, drive gears, etc., for KM vs. MPH.

Think about it - US speedometers have KM markings on them. It's nothing more than a reference point, so why couldn't you have the reverse, that is, the same speedo with the markings reversed?

Also, think about all the gray market cars that got converted. I'm sure that either they just swapped speedometers or maybe just the face with the different marks on it.

Dan

#26 ·
Oh yeah, I totally agree! I don't see why it wouldn't work! but I was just wondering if anyone had first hand experience or heard anything that would not make it work. If my friends dealer didn't say it won't I wouldn't be thinking twice.... I wish I knew for sure without buying it and trying it, which it may come to...

#27 ·
The speed readout is fine as the mph / kmh markings are much the same so if swapping face-plates over it is not a problem

The issue is the mileage read-out
1 mile = 1.6 kms
so a USA/Canada spec panel is going to calibrated to miles in distance travelled.
It would require the speedo be re-calibrated to record kilometers driven

You would be best to buy a unit from Europe that was sold as a kph & kms car and not from USA

#29 ·
Yes the actual whole speedo binnacle is plug and play for gen2 cars except there are minor differences with the options that were available to various spec models in terms of the warning check lights on the bottom row and also if you had or did not have the Anti-slip traction control version.
The USA binnacle has the engine check light on the bottom right (but all those warning lights are simple slide in-slide out check lights to the right side of the binnacle numbered 1 to 6 at the rear (all binnacles have the 6 light option)

As to the plugs at the rear they are the same
The big round multi-prong connector is the same
The vacuum connector
The speedo plug is the same
The central square mutli prong plug into the rear of the binnacle is the same
The clock power single wire is the same
The outside ambient air temp connector is the same (if you have this option)
So the only difference comes down to what check light options are on the binnacle.

In any case you can just swap in the centre speedo complete into you own binnacle if you want to retain your own binnacle versus swapping the whole binnacle over - either way it is just plug and play as to the rear connectors

#32 ·
Not a dealbreaker. You can still run the ASR cluster in a non-ASR car. the light will just stay off.

For purists, seeing an ASR cluster in a non-ASR car makes the speedo change obvious and brings in question odo tampering.

Just shrinkwrap the original cluster and keep it together with the car.

#34 ·
I contacted a friend in Europe and he can arrange for a non-ASR 260km/h speedometer cluster. Make an offer and I'll forward the information to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.