Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Gussying Up an SEC Console

876 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  bflobob8 
#1 ·
Hello. I Finally got around to doing something more than basic maintenance. Because I was getting tired of having no place for my Dunkin Donuts Coffee and phone, and not enjoying the burns between my legs, I built a mahogany and aluminum cup holding, phone-charging, insert. Also, the wood switch panel in front was in terrible condition, so I milled up a replacement out of aluminum. Thinking of doing the upper switch panel as well. That's it for now. I love my new car. Merry Christmas.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Awesome job there

#7 ·
I've seen lots of these type of consoles that just don't look right (especially the home jobs), but you've done a nice job with yours. As someone who does a fair bit of machining, I do like the attention to detail like the overall finish / appearance and counter sunk fasteners and symmetry as well as thoughtful spacing of the fasteners.

One thing that looks odd is the mix of aluminum (around the shifter) and wood plus the black plugs would look really cool if they were flush with the wood surface rather than screwed to the face.

#8 ·
the plugs ride high as the chargers are as long as the wood is deep and if made flush to the wood there would be o room for the wires . They could be flush if I was willing to cut a large hole in the console for the wiring but decided not ,

The wood in my car is of very poor condition, I think I will put aluminum fronts on the ash tray and the climate control switch panel , in person it looks refreshing.

I manufacture titanium wedding bands ( minterandrichterdesigns.com ) and used my cnc mill and manual lathe for most of the prorect,

Thanks for viewing it was a fun project and a nice break from all the odds and end repairs I have been doing. Luv the site info galore and dedicated owners.

#9 ·
It looks fab, easy to see why given your profession. Upper panels would make it look even better. I've thought this before when I've seen wood veneer completely peeled off so only the aluminium was showing. Doesn't look bad at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.