Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

That New Part Smell....

941 views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Cubdriver 
#1 ·
I ordered a new accelerator pedal for the 560SEL from Autohaus. Something like $4.95 and $10 shipping, instead of $29 for the "real" part. Looks identical, fits and works perfectly, but smells horrific! I have no idea what went into the making of this plastic / rubber pedal, but the smell is overwhelming.

Anybody else experience this? Should I worry? Will I be able to have children? (oh wait, I already can't do that). :eek

sj

#4 ·
smells like Teen Spirt.... No I meant Harbor Freight muaahahahah

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah Hi CubD,

I too bought one.. off ebay and labeled genuine…. It smells like a box of overripe drier sheets…

That purchase was over a year ago too… and it STILL reeks!

I am SURE its an aforementioned URO copy..

I will NOT have that smell in my car…

MBL

#8 ·
Reactions: wooky_chew_bacca
#15 · (Edited)
On sale for only $165 there.:eek
Mercedes-Benz Parts - Genuine OEM | MBOEMParts.com

The hinge on the one in the SEC broke last year and I took the one out of the '85 200T Euro wagon, perfect fit.
Just duct taped a hockey puck onto the wagon linkage.:wink

BTW, good idea is to check for dog shit on the bottom of your shoes before you get in the car.

#12 ·
LOL, redghost, that's how us "bottom feeders" roll :wink I also pulled one from the yard to replace a broken pedal and then snagged the one from the 84 so I STILL have a spare

#16 · (Edited)
Hey CubD,

Maybe you can salvage this apparent mini 'train wreck'...

I just resurrected mine from the Really Cool Mercedes Parts stash here .. and yup, it still smelled like pink urinal pucks.. *shakes head smiling…. The very idea seems ridiculous….

Anyways… Seriously (?) I separated the rubber pedal pad from the plastic "body" of the thing.. I'm pretty sure its just the rubber pad that reeks.. The plastic 'body' seems just fine.. (without stinkage I mean)…

Maybe you might salvage the original rubber MB pad and slip it over the new body.. That would take care of the wear areas with new.. the pedal base hinge and the connector to the metal throttle linkage at the top….

Thats my plan anyways…

As an aside here… My wife thinks I'm nuts and worries about brain damage… I told her its too late here, that ship sailed a loooooong time ago…. I worry about the smell..

Good luck man!

MBL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.