Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Need expert's help with wheels

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  tusabes 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am getting close and closer to finally getting my car the way I dream it to look.
Anyhow, I have just recently purchased a set of AMG Aero OZ's 17". I am kind of :grin borrowing someone's design idea from this Japanese site, here it is: ’†ŒÃŽÔ�î•ñ AMG SƒNƒ‰ƒX 560SEC 6.0-32 - ƒKƒŒ�[ƒWƒJƒŒƒ“ƒg
Since I have exact rims, I just wanted to know whether that car has a drop and what it is if it does, and what's the tire size (I can see they are stretched a bit). I know it's impossible to see the specs on the picture with the wheel, but maybe someone of you has enough experience to either figure that out or simply had to deal with the same specs set.

Thank you in advance and hope to see some advices...

P.S. I am very freakin' excited :elefant:

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Agree with above, 235/45/17. I have 3 nub pad with Eibach springs, when I had the HR springs with "245" / 45 / 17, I would rub the rubber off the wider tire on road dips.

#12 ·
A 1-nub pad is 9.5mm thick for the rear, 8mm thick for the front.

Thicknesses go up 5mm from there, so a 2-nub pad on the rear is 14mm, on the front it would be 13mm.

These changes result in about a 9mm change at the wheel. so in my opinion, they're for fine tuning, not major ride height changes.

You can read about this in the factory manual, sections 32-220 and -240.

#13 ·
If your goal is to get the stance close to the garage current car , you need to get it as low as possible , so that's why you want 1 nub pads sine they are installed at the same time as the lowering springs

45 series tires are not that bad in terms of ride quality - obviously your car is going to be much firmer with a lowering and 45 series tires compared to a stock setup but it's not overly harsh

#17 ·
Yeah, I think it is them. Unfortunately, 2 of them had hairline cracks in them, but the guy who sold them to me said it matters if I race or drift with my car. For regular driving it's fine.

You'll also note the ones in the pic are staggered so wider in the rear. If yours are staggered they will be wider tires in rear - if you have a square set of wheels you'd need wider lips to recreate the look in the pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was always wondering if I can purchase those lips/barrels separately if there's market for them.

Look for the SLS tank and pump, the pump is the round thingy below the distributor
Gotcha, yeah I have it.

A 1-nub pad is 9.5mm thick for the rear, 8mm thick for the front.

Thicknesses go up 5mm from there, so a 2-nub pad on the rear is 14mm, on the front it would be 13mm.

These changes result in about a 9mm change at the wheel. so in my opinion, they're for fine tuning, not major ride height changes.

You can read about this in the factory manual, sections 32-220 and -240.
If your goal is to get the stance close to the garage current car , you need to get it as low as possible , so that's why you want 1 nub pads sine they are installed at the same time as the lowering springs

45 series tires are not that bad in terms of ride quality - obviously your car is going to be much firmer with a lowering and 45 series tires compared to a stock setup but it's not overly harsh
So yeah, what you are saying is 1-nub pad will get my car lower than 3-nub pad.
My also concern would be attending the balance between the look and of not sacrificing as much of the legendary Benz ride-ability. If there's anyone with an experience on this matter, as whether it is suitable on the scale of (Look/Ride quality) to use 1-nub vs 3-nub, please advice. As if the smaller the nub number, then more it would decrease the level of suspending of the force of the body onto the spring? I would love it to look nice (4mm lower at the wheel) enough and not lose more ride quality than it should.

#20 ·
The spring pads are not going to noticeably affect your ride quality

It's the lowering springs and low profile tires that are going to make the difference

The stock height springs and tires with huge rubber sidewall provide a very smooth ride , and you will feel road irregularities with lowering springs and 45 series tires . It's a trade off you have to make

There's really no way around it - either leave it stock or go for the amg treatment . It's not terribly harsh, just different . Using a larger nub pad or 50 series tires won't bring you back to stock smoothness of a big sidewall tire with lots of extra spring travel

#21 ·
Having driven a lowered W126 in Florida on 17s, you should be fine. The ride is stiffer, but, as others have mentioned, not overly harsh. The caveat here is that you are in Florida, where the roads are in pretty good shape. In northern states, with horribly pot-holed roads, the lowered suspension and 45 series tires are a no-go if you do any amount of distance driving. I rode my 17s for two weeks this past summer, and managed to crack a wheel without hitting anything (other than the actual ROAD!). I have relegated them to the garage until I am not driving long distances daily. Although I love the look of a 5-spoke AMG wheel on my car, it dons the 15" BBS wheels with taller 65 series tires so that I can keep my teeth from breaking, and avoid cracking any more wheels. The rim repair guys up here in Indiana must be VERY busy, as I still see LOTS of people rolling around with rubber-band looking tires. Again, when I was just driving around town, it was OK, but now that I am traveling about 900 miles per week at interstate speeds, or thereabout, I settle for a softer ride, and less chance of a bent or cracked wheel. Sometimes function DOES have to come before form, sadly.

Rob

#24 ·
Hi,

I am back with an update. Found welder in Naples, He says he think he can do it, but he doesn't want to be liable in any way. Asked me to provide the information of what alloy is the wheel is made of. So I contacted lab in Palm Beach I think. That's what they say:

"Olexsander,

Alloy and carbon steel analysis can be performed at ATS for $185 per sample (3-5 working days). If nitrogen is required add $50.
Also, I left you a voice mail

Thanks!".
So I guess I will need to do that... What u think?

Also, you can check out another post where I participate to find solution to my cracked rims: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...5817-o-z-racing-amg-3-piece.html#post15370537

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.