Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Gen II Custom Rear Sway Bar - Part III

22K views 251 replies 43 participants last post by  John350 
#1 · (Edited)
Gen II Custom Rear Sway Bar Group Buy - Part III

I missed out on the last group buy for these, so John350 has been kind enough to offer to set up another round. Here's the last thread on the previous buy:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/2509169-custom-rear-sway-bar-part-deux.html#post13339473

These replace the stock 14mm sway bar to a 19mm diameter. Shipping costs are up i the air at this point so consider the estimate below just that. Looks like the cost for the bar and shipping in the CONUS will bring it in at around $230/each. We need 15 bars to hit their minimum for production.

If you're interested please reply back here or PM me.

Dan

#2 ·
I'll throw this in, and I have no affiliation with nor have any monetary gain to make on this, but if you don't have one of these larger diameter sway bars installed you are missing out. I purchased and installed one last year on my car with the new metal links and immediately noticed almost no roll when turning and sharp curves. It's almost like the car is chained to the road. It was a straightforward and relatively easy install too. The only modification needed was the "flat" being filed in the bar and filing down of the SLS arm so the U-bolt would fit. The instructions I got tells you everything you need to do and where to do it. Don't miss out on this batch, you won't regret it

Reactions: Jairo MBCA
#6 ·
My car handles well for the land barge that it is. I take decreasing radius 270° off ramps at 50+. This is with my 15" tires. It gets slightly tail happy sometimes, but is mild mannered and communicative when it does. It leans moderately when pushed hard. It handles much better with my 17" 45s, but the roads here will not allow them. I hope that this bar will level it out some and make it feel a bit less squirrelly when I push it hard.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I'm in.

I read on superturbodiesel a few years ago that the gen2 w126 bar is about 2cm wider than the w123 bar...
You may not have to do anything. There've been a couple of comments about how the heavy bar could be a little wider.

If the links are the same (I think they are) then flipping them won't change anything. And, I think you'll have a tough time bending it. If it could be easily bent then it wouldn't make a very good torsion bar...

#13 ·
4 things every w126 needs;

1: euro headlights

2: lowering kit

3: thicker rear swaybar

4: tri-y

#14 ·
I have 3 of the 4

#16 ·
It's ok Alberto (pattin' ya on yer head :grin ) your day of the "timing being right" will come one day. Yeah, being a bottom feeder has it's drawbacks sometimes.

OH, juss thought of this (again) :devil I'm gonna get a jar of Grey Poupon and put it on the rear rolltop lid, I've still not had anyone ask but I need to be prepared :wink

#21 ·
I missed out on the last group buy for these, so John350 has been kind enough to offer to set up another round. Here's the last thread on the previous buy:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/2509169-custom-rear-sway-bar-part-deux.html#post13339473

These replace the stock 14mm sway bar to a 19mm diameter. Shipping costs are up i the air at this point so consider the estimate below just that. Looks like the cost for the bar and shipping in the CONUS will bring it in at around $230/each. We need 15 bars to hit their minimum for production.

If you're interested please reply back here or PM me.

Dan
I'm keen on 2 sets. For my SEC & SEL. SEL runs on SLS. Hope there's no issues there.
There are a bunch of us here in Malaysia & Singapore who are ready to spend money on things like this that improves our 126.
If you could give me & estimate cost for these bars + shipping to Malaysia, i'd put the word out & i reckon there shud be at least another 5 set of orders.

Roy.

#22 ·
Roy, the SLS fitment requires filing/grinding a "flat" on the bar and filing down the lever arm. It's all in the instructions on how, where, what, etc. I used a flat file on mine

#23 ·
Here's the directions, including SLS fitting.
http://www.skyportservices.net/SBI ver3_merged.pdf

I have no idea about shipping to Malaysia. They're 56" by 21" by 3" and weigh about 12 lbs. It might be best to bundle them all together and ship to one address, That way they could be packed in a separate outer carton.

Installation is straight forward. You could certainly do your second one in an hour baring complications. The first one will probably take a little longer. I recommend you get metal sway bar links, MB 1153201589 while you're at it.

#24 ·
Another vote for Gen I sway bars. Would buy 2

Al

Reactions: Jairo MBCA
#26 ·
Another vote for Gen I sway bars. Would buy 2
I wasn't involved in the initial development of the Gen II sway bar, but I know it took several (at least 3, I believe) iterations and a lot of effort by the parties involved to get it right. I also recall the initial order, to cover the development costs incurred by Hellwig, was 25 pieces. If I had a Gen I car at my disposal, I might consider doing it, but I don't.

#29 · (Edited)
Im down for one. We would just need to confirm shipping to Canada once things get going. Im assuming they ship from the US, I didn't get a chance to read thru the whole other thread.

The pathetic mini sway bar on my 560 is as absolute joke, while I wait, im going to machine a new aluminum sls brackets that fit the new shaft diameter (spot on 19mm I suppose, with a little wiggle room), I don't like the ideal of grinding away the sway bar, plus my original bracket has seen some better days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.