Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

722.9 into a w126?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Webstermike1 
#1 ·
Has anybody given any serious thought about putting a 722.9 into a w126? I have a 85 500SEL, I saw that someone had a 722.6 in a w126, and had overcome quite a few hurdles. My trans (I have two that work both from 84/85 500sel's) is fine and I was just wondering if they would mate up to a M117, what type of communication is between the trans and the engine, if anyone knew if a controller that might work?

#2 ·
From what I know there are more aftermarket controllers for the 722.6.

My personal opinion is that 7 speeds is too many... leads to the trans having to shift all the time.

-J

#3 ·
Too much shifting perhaps for a non turbo car with a nice power range like the old V8. For modern turbo cars of course keeping the engine in a specific range is an advantage.

Driving a new diesel 4 series with a 9 spd auto recently made me realise thats how it gets its economy so high, and keeps the motor ready for boost at most times. Wouldn't apply on my old barges though.

#4 ·
Ya. I'd think the 5 speed + lockup of the 722.6 would work well. You could keep the same rear end ratio and gain fuel economy with the overdrive 5th and lockup converter.

-J

#5 ·
I have about a year before I really need to do anything my sel is in the garage waiting for an engine transplant, I'm really considering an EFI upgrade using a 92 corvette computer. I've read that the corvette also uses the can bus. I was wondering more if the can bus was a standard protocol? Would the computer be able to talk to the trans?

Attachments

#6 ·
CAN is like ethernet. Just because different modules use it as the physical layer doesn't mean they'll talk at a software level. There are also different CAN bus speeds. (For example, I can't put the radio from a 2008 Touareg in my 2004 because the CAN runs at a different speed)

-J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.