Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Tri-y's

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Dr.Grillz 
#1 ·
What would be a reasonable price for headers and down pipes for a 1991 560SEC
Cheers.

#2 ·
Street value about $800-1k for headers and $300-400 for downpipes.

Member Daniel8888 from Poland comes across sets for LHD rather reasonably, last set he advertised last week for $650.

He sent me a set with the flanges cut off for the downpipes so I was able to have a muffler shop fabricate the pipes and mate to the existing flange.

#6 ·
There was a group buy of AMG clone headers around five years ago that I was part of, I think the total was around $1500 for headers and down-pipes. To do that on your own would probably cost you $2000+, assuming you could get your hands on a set to copy. The replicas I've got were pretty good quality - not perfect, but about as good as you'd get from a small run without paying through the nose for lots of fine finish-work. Those are ceramic-coated steel, for what it's worth. The factory tri-ys are definitely the best in terms of cost-benefit. I think the AMGs are worth around five HP, but again, much more costly and difficult to make/get.

#7 ·
I have a set of the Jet Coated headers and pipes, and that is about the price. Add 2k for removal of existing and custom dual exhaust fabrication. Exceeds purchase price of the car in many cases....

#8 ·
I think your right just not feasible. Neviu I'm sure now what you have is well worth the asking price, but it's more than I'd want to spend right now. Sorry for the misunderstanding no hard feelings.
Thanks all of you for responding.

#9 ·
I have a set of AMG headers and down-pipes that I intend to install on my '89 560 SEC.

I also have a set of MB Euro headers and down-pipes to install on my '89 560 SEL.

My question is: How much should I expect to pay for each conversion? (I also will need to have the connecting pipes fabricated for each car).

#10 ·
I have 2.25 SS with Vclamp duals. I went with 2 magnaflow 2 in 2 out. New welded hangers and all custom mandrel bends.??that was just over 2k

#11 ·
That sounds typical for that kind of job. Stainless and mandrel bends add lots of money, but if you want the most out of it and plan to keep the car it's money well spent. Most exhaust shops don't normally do stainless, and it's even harder to find one with a mandrel bender (they're much more costly than typical tubing benders), so you may have to search out the right shop if you go that route. On the other hand, you should be able to get it done for less than $1000 per car if you can live with aluminized pipe and compression bends.

#19 ·
Yes it is. I still have to install it though!!

#20 ·
I need to explain.....

My question about the Tri-Y exhaust system is in regards to the installation cost of exchanging the headers and installing the down-pipes. I have a pretty good idea about the costs you all were discussing, from the down-pipes to the back.

I want to do the above, then fabricate a "Y" to connect the down-tubes to a 2-in, 2-out cat. converter, then remove the kidneys and go straight out to a Sebring muffler using the balance of the existing exhaust pipes. I do not intend to re-make the entire system; my pipes in both cars are solid and good.

#21 ·
I still don't understand.

Also, the noise will be droning and loud if you don't have a resonator.

Reactions: 281lxm
#22 ·
OH to have a pipe fitting setup, with the bending tools (is it "mandrel" that doesn't "crimp" the pipes ?), flange and flair gizmos, and a welder

#23 ·
I'm giving you my experience. It was over 2k

Reactions: wooky_chew_bacca
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.