Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I've joined the SEC club! My first Benz, an 87 w126.

8K views 85 replies 22 participants last post by  1783pictures 
#1 · (Edited)
Gents, I'm driving this terrific car home now. It was owned by a fellow forum member. I cannot thank him enough for the opportunity to take ownership of his beautiful lady.

Ironically enough this car happened to be located not far from one of my best friends. And it just so happens that the owner of this car and my friend shared the same independent Mercedes mechanic. A guy my friend has told me is like a God. :) What are the odds!

So we drove on over and spent time with this God like mechanic who took us through the car and talked about the w126 line and how amazing they were.

After many hours of driving hard and fast I dropped my friend off and then proceeded to head home. I'm currently staying overnight in Maryland and will continue the journey in the morning. All in all will be a 10 hour drive.

Frankly, I cannot believe this is my car. Thank you to every single member here who encouraged me to pursue my dream. And thank you to all of the members who offered their advice. I wouldn't have this car without you.

More to come...

Attachments

See less See more
1 2
#4 ·
Welcome to not only The Machine but also to the Coupe' Club. Looks like a nice ride there and a good color combo as well. I'd be willing to bet your adrenaline level has been on "OD" (that's OverDose :wink ) since first sliding behind the wheel, I STILL do :eek . You DO realize of course you won't get away with merely ONE picture :grin . Have a good trip home with your new set of wheels. BTW, technically the coupes are C126 models but most everyone refers to them as W126.

#6 ·
Please remember that when you get to a stop light, gear lever needs to go into first, then back to Drive for it to start in first gear. Pics of interior?

#11 ·
Congrats bud. Great car.
Great to see some of the younger dudes like myself come into play.
AS nice as the new cars are, I feel enough is enough. Twin turbos, 9 speed autos, air bags, senors, vanos blah blah blah.

I just let go of a 08 Lexus LS460, and as nice as that car was, I really enjoy using a key to open my 420, turning the headlight switch, turn the climate control, everything feels analog. I see 911 in my future. I was mechanical noise and no more than 2 seats. I also want to be able to go skiing few times a year and 911 4S will do that.

#12 ·
Gentlemen, I have arrived. 9.5 hours on the road without a hiccup. It's funny, despite the seats being 29 years old I have no back pain. That doesn't happen when I drive my Malibu.

The drive was a real pleasure. I can't recall the last time I was so focused while behind the wheel. I did get her up there a couple of times. 110 mph and then later 118 mph. Not something I normally do and likely will never do again. But I wanted to see how she could fly and yeah, she was stable and razor sharp.

The alignment is pure perfection and the engine just purrs with thunder. If that makes sense. I'm sure some of you guys understand.

Issues that need to be addressed down the road... Power door locks fixed, spacers to get the front stance up a little bit (hit a good bump and you can hear the tires hit/rub), power antenna fixed or replaced (doesn't go up all the way), driver's side seat springs repaired (29 years = a bit squishy), seat leather either died or seats reupholstered.

And maybe euro exhaust. :)

The drivers side paint is pretty darn good, but the passenger side and hood are far less so. Some of the issues look to be clear coat related. I really need to have the car looked at to decide where I want to go with it. However this is far down the road. I will not worry about the paint for a number of years. And oh yes, the Chrome really should be polished or restored.

I will have pictures and video for you all shortly. Right now I'm just going to chill out with a glass of wine. It's been a long three days and I need to unwind watching Tom Brady kick ass. ;)

#13 ·
Issues that need to be addressed down the road... spacers to get the front stance up a little bit (hit a good bump and you can hear the tires hit/rub),
Instead of raising the front end a easier fix might be to just put narrower tires on the front like I have on mine.
Those W140 8 hole wheels are the correct off set for the car.

#14 ·
Another congrats on the trip home. What size are your tires ?

#15 ·
Well we screwed up. I don't know why I didn't see this before but the title has to be notarized! Jesus Christmas. He simply signed it after I paid and handed it over. We never thought of this.

Now I am 550 miles away and in reading the NC DMV fine print I will have no way to register the car.

Advice? I've no clue what to do to fix this.

Edit: 16" wheels

#16 ·
An idea, do you know anyone who is a Notary Public. I used to work for a trucking company (gravel/dump trucks and roll off containers) and got stuff notarized because our Dispatcher knew me. If you know one well enough you might could . . . . . .

On tire size I meant actual size of the tire, not so much just the rim, I'm running 225/60R16's at the moment and the fronts scrub, it was suggested to get "3 nub" spring pads/spacers to raise mine up just a hair and still keep the lowered look

#17 ·
I definitely do not know any notary. :(

Not a clue what size tires off the top of my head. I'll have a look in the A.M.

Question would be, here in backwoods New Bern, NC where should I bring my SEC to have a look on adding those spacers and what amount of money would I be looking at? Any decent reputable tire place? Or do I need to go somewhere specific? I am still a newbie, after all!

I definitely want to do it. Newer less wide tires instead? No. I have at least another year or more with these tires. I sure don't want to buy new tires right before I have to winterize and store her for my China trip. I think she will actually look even better with a tad more height in front. Stock is ridiculously high.

#18 ·
Very nice! What color is that? I like it, but I'm not familiar with it - or is it silver and just looks greenish because of the photo? Hope it provides years of enjoyment. On the tire rub, I'm running 225/55/16s with no issues on my SEC, but I'm not sure of the backspacing on the rims. H&R springs on 3-nib pads, BTW. If those are W140 rims, you should have no issues with rubbing unless you've got really wide tires.

On the title, you could just mail it back to get notarized. I bought my SEL from a member, and the title and all was handled by mail. I think most states need to see the title signed and notarized by the seller over to you. Wouldn't hurt to drop by the DMV first, they might accept the title with a bill of sale, letter from the seller, something along those lines. Worst case is the title has to take a round trip in the mail, should only take a week or so.

Looks like you found a good one - best of luck!

Reactions: ianrandom
#19 ·
It's a metallic gray but I do not know the official color designation.

We were having some fun in the Jersey hills and believe me, those tires were rubbing. Sounded downright scary when it happened. Not so much now that I am down here (in 3 hours of NC driving I heard it twice). Flat roads, naturally. But I definitely want to address it.

#20 ·
Not sure on the offset of those later model rims but if the coupe is not lowered too much then 225/55/16 on the front but if it is on say H&R Lowering springs then 225/50/16 on the front otherwise it rubs on the front edge of the wheel arch - look for where it has touched and worn the paint off
Or if the offset is running top outer edge of the tire very close the wheel arch lip it might just require the front wheel arch lips to be rolled up out of the way - again check where the tire has been rubbing the paint away.

#21 · (Edited)
I'm running 245/50/16 on the rear and 205/55/16 on the front and it seems okay.

#24 ·
I'm running 225/60R16's and I've rolled the fender lips, PO lowered with H&R's and I put new B8 shocks up front. It rubs just a bit on hard bumps and it was suggested to go with 3 nub pads, it's rubbing JUST at the edge of the tread. I know now I should have gone with smaller tires, chalk it up to experience learned but these are brand new tires I can't just go swap em out

#32 ·
If you are lowered on hr you'll want 225/50/16

225/55/16 is for non lowered cars
Okay, so I have 225/15/16 from Yokohama YK520's.

From prior owner: "Bilstein sport shocks in front & springs are H&R Progressive rate."

He believes rims are 8x16.

If I replace them with 225/50/16's will that stop this rubbing? When it happens it is LOUD! :eek

Or should I be looking into spacers? Or both? I am a laymen with this aspect of the cars so learning as I go. The tires are not exactly new so I'd likely replace them at some point next summer when I return from overseas.

I have attached pics. You can see the rubbing on the side of the tire. And yes, i will get many pics of the ride up soon. :) I'll also tell you all that I like about the car and all that is wrong with it. Last night I left her outside since i knew it was going to rain. i needed to see if I'd have any leaks. And I did. :(

Attachments

#26 ·
Wonder if the wheels are from a car with different offset - SL R129 ran that type I think. Aftermarket (ASA?) ones available too. Pop one off sometime and let us know the markings - 'et' is the offset.

Those spring pads are an easy change but much better if you know of an MB indie as they'll have the right kind of spring compressor. As an idea, I can change my fronts in my coffee break at work, about 40 mins. Thats going fast with the right compressor though. The pads are cheap from MB/online.

Good luck with the title thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.