Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bilsteins?

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Teutone 
#1 ·
I need to replace the shocks on my 1985 380SEC, are Bilsteins a f¡good option?

Which should I choose B4s?

Also if I go to the Bilstein page, the 1985 380SEC is not on their model list, can someone verify a part number please?

Thanks

#3 ·
Just looking on Autohausaz, they're showing B360501 and B361183 for an '83 380SEC, they don't have an '85 380SEC. Is this a euro model? That may by why it's not showing up. Pretty sure front shocks are the same across all vehicles, they're showing the same part numbers for Gen II cars. I think the B8 is for lowered vehicles (try a search). I can tell you that the B4s are available in "comfort" and "heavy duty." I'd go for the "heavy duty" (which equates to stiffer/sportier) unless ride is your only concern - I find the comforts make the car too floaty.

#5 · (Edited)
B4 (Comfort) are like OEMs and are twin tube design.

B6 (HD) and B8 (Sport) are mono tube design and are stronger. Valving are the same for both. Only difference between B6 and B8 is that B8 is shorter and are meant to be used with lowering springs.

I bought shocks from The Tire Rack several times. Great price, free delivery, fast shipping and great customer service.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...z&autoModel=380SEC&autoYear=1985&autoModClar=

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with The Tire Rack except being a very satisfied customer.

#7 ·
You can get an Eibach Pro Kit for the 380s which includes B8 Sprints and Eibach Lowering Springs. I went instead with H&Rs and B8s for my 500 SEC because the weight rating wasn't listed on the pro kit for the 500, only the 380.

#10 ·
Sorry if this is a hijack.
I have a 1985 280SE (euro). It's my daily driver until they start putting salt on our roads and I store it until the salt has washed off the roads.
I know it's not a sports car but it's pretty soft in the handling department, even for a sedan.
I'm not into the lowered look.
Would changing to the B6 (HD) shocks give less body roll without loosing too much in the plush highway ride?

#12 ·
Would changing to the B6 (HD) shocks give less body roll without loosing too much in the plush highway ride?
I replaced the original shocks on my CLK at 88,000 miles with B6s (HDs).
Body roll was reduced significantly. I really didn't notice any increase in ride harshness, but then I'm also running Michelin Super Sports and the ride is like butter :)

#11 ·
I don't know if it was a kit (PO had the work done by his shop) the "H&R" springs did the lowering and after I bought the car there were a few issues to deal with, one being leaking front shocks, now all fixed

#13 ·
In the last 3 yrs I have replaced shocks, springs and SLS on 5 w126's. My personal preference are the Bilstien comforts even with lowering springs. Comforts retain that classic smooooth Mercedes ride. My 88 euro SEL has SLS removed, lowered and some cheap KYB front shocks and even worse Monroe's in the rear. Thinking about comforts on the front and HD's on the rear. Not aware of anyone trying this before? It may be a nice match.

#14 ·
I've heard it said that KYB stands for "Keep Your Bilsteins." Monroe is what you'd get if you asked your wife for new shocks while she's out for groceries, so I'd say the PO was cheaping out and/or misinformed on his choice of shocks. I'd match up the shocks front and rear: the mismatch would probably cause the same or worse handling than comforts all around, and a worse ride. Just my $0.02. My overall recommendation will always be with the HDs. I will qualify that by saying I've lived in Oklahoma, where the roads are endlessly straight and tend to be rough, and that's one place where a stiffer shock may not be worth it. But in general, my SEC was a bit floaty on the old Bilsteins (not sure what type - they appeared to date back quite a ways), and my SEL is a boat with Bilstein comforts. I'll gladly accept a little more harshness for the locked-on feeling in my SEC (with H&Rs, HDs, and modded SLS), and when I get around to it the SEL will get HDs. One thing to keep in mind: the SEC is a lighter car, so the same shock will feel slightly stiffer in it than an SEL.

Ultimately, it boils down to personal preference and what you plan to use the car for. I bought my SEL in part as a softer counterpoint to my SEC, but as time goes by I find the softer shocks, stock springs, and 15" vs 16" wheels just make the car feel too much like an old Town Car. Yeah, I'm still going to keep it softer/gentler, but I need to have a little bite when the roads get twisty!

#15 ·
Sachs (not Sachs - Boge) Super touring shocks are not seen that much on this side of the Atlantic. Excellent shocks but pricey.
The super touring is the heavy duty version. I had on different cars anything from regular to adjustable Koni (on E9 CSL), Bilstein HD and sport, and liked the Sachs best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.