Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I found a Euro 500SE

17K views 121 replies 21 participants last post by  Fonzi 
#1 ·
I am going to see it tomorrow. The seller says that the Odometer stopped recently at 131K. It looks nice but there are no AMG mods for the engine. Just the side skirts and the wheel. It is a 500SE though and pretty rare.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Couple of things:
1) I noticed it has the vacuum adjustment for the headlights. Was that added later, or is an import? There are no pictures from the front, so is hard to tell.
2) Perhaps the most knowledgeable guys here can advise, but I thought an EMG has some distinctive features and some kind of documentation that proves that is an AMG. I am not saying is not, but just keep that in mind. We can get the data card too and see what was installed at the factory, if that helps.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the title. It appears to be import. You said "Euro".

#15 ·
So true. :rolleyes:

Kind of difficult to say whther it's worth 2000 or not, because we have no knowledge about the running condition, service records, rust, working AC etc. But judging by the Euro and AMG bits alone, it probably is worth it.

Depending on what you plan to do with it, of course. If you plan on keeping and driving it, but it's rusted to hell, doesn't run properly, things are not working etc., you might be better off with something else.

#11 ·
Yet another case of "may be worth more in parts." If it's what you want and is in great mechanical shape, then make an offer, but $2000 is a stretch. God only knows on the mileage unless there's documentation, and the interior is rough - those may just be the tip of the iceberg. The area of the country you're living in is another consideration: in some areas you just have next to nothing to choose from, but the surest way to be "one and done" on an old Mercedes is to jump into a basket case, no matter how cheap. $2000 could get you a 420 or even 560 in nicer shape, even here in Montana 1987 MERCEDES 560SEL. Finally, I'm not a W126 encyclopedia, but I believe it was only the US 380s (M116, the 500 is an M117) that ever came with a single-row timing chain. Just be patient and know what you're getting into; I'm not saying forget about it, but don't let the euro and AMG bits distract you from the car as a whole.

Reactions: liviu165
#14 ·
My 126 went to the breaker with perfect mechanicals. The extent of parts and labour required for body and brightwork made it a basket case. When I lived in NY, there was plenty of salt on the roads during the winter... Arches, bulkhead, fenders, below the rear screen and of course the front and rear bumpers.

#16 · (Edited)
Its probably worth the 2K just in the parts that I can see. Also it has Euro lights and wipers and that's worth another grand. The different headlight switch has the Euro headlight adjuster.

#18 ·
I just found this thread after I already sent the deposit. I've done business with the seller and remember when he got it from Georgia. I imagine I will sell off some of the bits, at least the 15" bundts as I've got plenty of wheels that I think would suit this car much better (freshly refurbed black ats AMG 8x16 et11, lots of weaves, like black 8x16 et11 rial N).

My first w126.

I have a friend that's really lost almost everything in life and has to shuttle his boys around and his explorer died. My plan is to get my truck back from him and lend him this w126. I've got a friend with a warehouse where we've got about 20 parts cars. So if this car ends up there, I think it will work out. No fear. Can wait to drive it!
(And see it in person, LOL).

#19 ·
Great score i reckon and as you say it will scrub up nicely with some decent alloy rims a good paint buff and polish and leatherique the interior to bring that up to scratch.
The 85 Euro spec M117-963 is a good engine.
Not often you stumble across a Euro spec SE over your way

#22 ·
Congrats, Fonzi! :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about it once you get it.

Oh how I would love a shop that can hold 20 parts cars!
Ain't that the truth! :rolleyes: Sure, storage in TX is probably a lot cheaper than in CA, but I don't think I'd still be able to justify paying somebody a rent of several hundreds of dollars a month just to store cars...

I would prefer my own house and shop on 5, or so, acres to do that. Maybe one day... :dunno:

#21 ·
I have seen a good number of Euro 500SE on the road and in local wrecking yards. No pics of the engine, soI assume it has the Euro logs with down pipes on both side of the engine, instead of the US from pass to drivers side manifold crossover pipe behind the engine.
I know the 6.9 15" wheels are worth something, headlights, steering wheel, AMG cladding.
In parts, over here its probably worth 1500, and that's what I would offer, unless there is also a set of TRY-Y headers under the hood.
To bring the car back up to top condition, $ 10K wouldn't surprise, or perhaps more. Imo the car is not rare enough to potentially spend that kind of $.

Any Gen II Euro 560 with all the bits would be rare and carry a bit higher price tag, but worth it.

My friend Leroy had only 2 weeks before he moved, and recently sold his 3 cars, a 6.9. corvette, and clean 560SEL 130k miles with Euro lights and bumpers for 1500 each .
That SEL needed a new fuel pump, that was it.

If you are still set on the 500SE, take a Mercedes mechanic familiar with these car with you for a pre purchase inspection. Its the best $150-200 you can spend.
Just my 10 Pfennig.

Bruce Buyers Guide http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sal...515020-bruces-guide-buying-used-mercedes.html

Please complete your profile with at least a location, members in your are may be able to help

Attachments

#24 ·
wheel options on hand:

I have original caps for the Rials, and I will probably go with them as the Pentas are just too damn nice and freshly refurbed.

I've taken not of the interior condition and passenger seat sounds like it is pretty trashed. The rear has a rip in it I hadn't noticed either. I still have to pickup the car and now understand that there are two most significant issues:
- leaking steering box quoted $600 to fix. I need to look this over myself before deciding to spend a penny.
- turn signals don't work, but the hazards do. This sounds like an issue getting it through inspection here.
- not a big issue, but it apparently runs rich.

It sounds like a little more of a project than I was expecting, but hopefully it will still meet the needs as I was expecting. If not, it can always be parted out.

Anybody got a set of seats? Or should I install the gray velour recaros I have that have a hint of blue in them. Way wrong blue unfortunately, and I don't have any recaro adapters... So... I guess that's a no.

And oh... Here's the back seat pic...

#26 ·
A lot of Gen2 mods to Gen1 cars have taken place, these cars are very interchangeable save for a few fit and finish parts. You can swap in a Gen2 set and have a more luxurious feel to the interior.

As for steering box, more often than not it is the O-ring in the back of the box that leaks. If you're handy with a circlip plier, you can do the fix yourself. Parts $2

#27 ·
Thank you! I thought it would be something more like that than a $600 rebuild.

Any idea if working hazards and non-functional blinkers on either side is a common problem with this model?

I've spotted about 3-4 interesting parts cars locally at $600, $900, and a $1200 euro 380se with a euro rear bumper and US front. Man, this w126 thing looks like it could be a real can of worms for me.

#28 ·
First thing to do for the turn signals would be clean all the fuse contacts & replace those fuses. Preferably with the better type.

The hazard switch being dirty can also affect the turn signals.

#29 ·
Thank you! I will need to address this to have any chance of using the car for its intended purpose (getting it through inspection and lending it to a friend).

Fuses.

The current owner seems to think it is the stalk because the signals don't turn on at all, but I really just need to get my hands on the car.

I wonder if other 14-pin multi-switches would possibly work for testing. We have 560sl, 380sl, r129, w124 chassis cars. I see the part number is a 126 part number though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.