Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Yet another steering lock problem

3K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Teutone 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I know that posts about W126 steering lock issues are all over the internet, but I've been searching for the past 2 weeks, and I would really appreciate a simple, dumbed down explanation of what to do.

A few weeks ago, my friend generously gave me his 1990 300SE. The key would not budge at all in the ignition, however. I turned the steering wheel left and right, and it wouldn't even move to position 1. Obviously, the steering wheel is locked too. As I tried another time to twist the key into the ignition, it broke off. Great.

From what I understand, I need to: remove the instrument cluster and kick panel underneath, drop the steering column, and replace the ignition tumbler (I've already bought a new tumbler with 2 new keys).

Could someone dumb this down for me? I've managed to tear the instrument cluster out myself with a coat hanger, but the car is in a parking lot 20 minutes away, which definitely restricts what I can and cannot do to it.

Any help is appreciated. What do you guys think I should do? I don't want to scrap it since I know it's still a perfectly functioning car, but I also seem incapable of fixing it.

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
While you are reading this please fill out your profile, many of us won't remember which model car you have with your next post and a location because you never know, someone on here might be just around the corner from you.

In the attached diagram you will need to remove item #5 from the steering column which is below the cluster, that way you'll at least be able to steer it. IIRC there is a bolt either holding a clamp or the bolt goes through the collar holding it to the column. There is an interlock cable on the side that by removing it will enable you to pull it out of park to be able to roll it around. With the key broken off you'll likely be better off getting another from the JY

Reactions: kdawgti
#4 ·
Might help if I attached the pic :grin sorry about that

Attachments

#5 ·
That's better, thank you. My research has pointed me towards this. I know that I need to remove the steering lock so that I can replace the tumbler (which I already have a new one of). I just need help taking off the steering wheel and removing the steering lock. That's my problem. Would you happen to have any information on how someone as clueless as me could do such a thing?

Many thanks for your response.

#6 ·
To remove the lock assembly you don't have to remove the wheel. I had trouble with my former 300SE, had to literally destroy/dismantle the lockset piece by piece until I could get the switch itself to turn. I have a spare ignition/steering lock assembly I pulled from my parts car, again steering wheel stayed in place, just that bolt where it attaches to the steering column

#7 ·
I think I'm just really stupid, but here's the process in my mind.

1. Remove instrument cluster and kick panel.
2. Remove steering lock.
3. Remove ignition tumbler.
4. Replace ignition tumbler.
5. Replace steering lock.
6. Reassemble everything else and pray that it works.

How does that look?

#8 ·
Don't need to remove kick panel either, SO MUCH crap between it and the bottom of the lock assembly. With the cluster out the lock assembly is right there in the bottom of the "hole" and it will be much easier to work on getting the old/broken/jammed tumbler set out with it laying on the workbench (BTDT)

In your profile, add your car (see, I can't remember what it is now :eek CRS sufferer here)

#11 ·
85 bucks does seem reasonable yeah for what it does. The alternative would be getting one out of a junkyard car BUT the problem there is if the key doesn't come with it it'll be hell getting THAT tumbler out. I'm lucky in that my spare came from my parts car and it has the key

#16 ·
That's how we roll here :wink

Reactions: mramay
#18 ·
You'll need a copy of your pink slip for proof of ownership at the dealer.
The dealer will order new tumbler comes with one key (a good idea to order with extra key for 2) with the cars VIN #. Takes a day or 2, and keys will match every lock on the car.
Essential reading, with link to a free service manual, how top search the forum archive & more Mercedes-Benz Forum - Announcements in Forum : W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

#19 ·
Well, my main problem is that the tumbler can't be removed because the key will not turn to position 1 (half of it is broken off in the tumbler). I already have a replacement tumbler with 2 new keys in my hands. I don't mind if the ignition key and door keys are different. I just can't remove the old tumbler and put the new one in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.