Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

560sec-transmission leak by Governor cover

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  GreenT 
#1 ·
The transmission is leaking by the governor cover, rear driver's side. I suspect the seal needs replacing. Can the cover be tightened or do I need to replace the seal. Can the seal be replaced with the transmission still installed on the car? Any DIY would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The manual does not say you have to have the transmission out. There is an o-ring that in your case is gone. To reach that o-ring you need to take the cover off. To take the cover off, apparently you have to disengage the neutral safety switch. I am not sure if the selector rod has to be removed too to have access. Is very easy to do that job, for me was even easier because I had the transmission off the car (which is why I can't advise if the selector rod and switch have to be removed first, I already had them off, before taking the tranny out). However, if that o-ring is leaking, others will follow soon. Make sure that after you installed it back in, you pull the cover back out until it rests against the snap ring. There is no spring on the other side of the cover, and that's why they put that tab: so you can pull it.

Attachments

#4 ·
thank you both for your replies. this will help me a lot. I was actually on the freeway when I noticed smoke from my rear view mirror. Apparently trans fluid had gotten onto the mid mufflers hence the smoke. I put it up on a lift when I reached home and traced the source of the leak at the governor cover by way of the the traces of fluid. everything else was dry.

While the car was up on the lift I wiped everything dry and started the car and let it stay in idle. - No leak was observed. It appears that it leaks only when at certain speeds. Does this make sense?

liviu165, do you know by chance the part number of the o-ring?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.