Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Few Issues

4K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  Gray_es300 
#1 ·
So we currently have a 1991 560SEL with 16k miles my grandfather bought brand new. After sitting for a few years, I have decided to do some work to get it back in shape. Since working on it i have done the following:
-Changed the coolant
-Switched out the old gas
-Changed the valve cover gaskets
-Changed out the power steering fluid and filter
-New Air filter, and cleaned and lubricated the engine bay and little ball joint things on the throttle body.

Few issues:
-Radio turns on, but no reception and antenna doesn't go up
-Still leaking from rear of valve covers
-Other leaks, I'm thinking from the transmission cooler lines
-Brake calipers are sticking.

My first question in, with my issue with the radio, I realize these things are a pain, but since there is volume and the radio turns on, is my issue solely with the antenna? Also even after changing the valve cover gaskets with new FeelPros, I still have a leak from the back of the gasket, and everything is seated correctly. Secondly, I plan on doing a drain and fill for the transmission fluid and rear differential fluid. Is there anything special I need to know before going ahead and changing them, or is it a straight forward process? I plan on buying new calipers off Rock Auto and switching the rubber lines at the same time, so its a process. Sorry for the long post, and thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome aboard, here's the workshop manual with a lot of info you'll need in the future.

Model 126 - M116 4.2 L & M117 5.6 L Maintenance Manuals

If the mating surfaces on the cover gasket and engine are clean and undamaged, it should not leak. Either the bolts are not torqued enough or too much, breaking the gasket.

Other leaks are usually the result of decaying 30 year old rubber. I'm sure others will jump in with more info.

Btw, we're picture whores. :)

#3 ·
Make sure to use copper crush washers (one time use) under the bolts to avoid seepage from bolt holes, and clean surfaces before using a new rubber gasket. I got my hands on HD plastic razor blades and small scrapers I like.
The torque for bolts are in the manual. Cross pattern tighten.
In my experience, more leaks are caused by over tightening than too little.

Which coolant did you use? The OEM Mercedes coolant is made by valvoline USA and the same as the undiluted (cheaper) Zerex G-05.

Please make sure to read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...nt-new-members-welcome-forum-please-read.html
It has links to the manual, how to search the forum archives for 'sticky calipers' etc.
First thing to check is whether you get any power at the antenna motor.

You speak of new fuel. If the car doesn't run, has the tank been cleaned out plus fuel lines, new fuel filter?

On any car sitting for a long time (years, low mileage or not) all rubber (bushings, hoses, belts, mounts are likely shot.

#4 ·
Make sure to use copper crush washers (one time use) under the bolts to avoid seepage from bolt holes, and clean surfaces before using a new rubber gasket. I got my hands on HD plastic razor blades and small scrapers I like.
The torque for bolts are in the manual. Cross pattern tighten.
In my experience, more leaks are caused by over tightening than too little.

Which coolant did you use? The OEM Mercedes coolant is made by valvoline USA and the same as the undiluted (cheaper) Zerex G-05.

Please make sure to read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...nt-new-members-welcome-forum-please-read.html
It has links to the manual, how to search the forum archives for 'sticky calipers' etc.
First thing to check is whether you get any power at the antenna motor.

You speak of new fuel. If the car doesn't run, has the tank been cleaned out plus fuel lines, new fuel filter?

On any car sitting for a long time (years, low mileage or not) all rubber (bushings, hoses, belts, mounts are likely shot.[/QUOTE]

I zerex coolant used, and I'm thinking I over tightened the bolts, so I'll go back and check. The gas was just precautionary. The car has been driven around the driveway and started at least once every 2 months, it just hadn't been insured for a while. I just took out the old gas and replaced with ethanol free to be safe, the car actually runs incredibly well and always starts up just as quickly as anything else I've ever driven

Attachments

#8 ·
Congrats on taking care of a beautiful car! Last model year with only 16k miles? wow!

If you're not familiar with care for these older Mercedes, let me point out some things to make sure you're doing the up-keep correctly.

Coolant should NOT be green. Do not use any of the corrosive green antifreeze typically found. This is often a common mistake made by new owners.

Approved coolants include Zerex G-05 (yellowish color) found in your local auto parts store (typically places like Napa have them $14-18/ gallon). You can use one gallon of the full strength with one gallon of distilled water. You can also use the genuine mercedes coolant (blue color) but you cannot mix with other coolants. You can get the coolant at your local dealership or at some of the online vendors.

Regarding the valve cover gaskets, the brand you mentioned "FeelPros" I'm not familiar with. Genuine mercedes gaskets are not much and the OEM I believe is Elring. I would purchase of the the two to replace what you used. There's a chance the aftermarket ones you bought are not 100% or you may have over tightened/undertorqued the bolts.

#9 ·
Selling it has been a consideration, but after my grandpa passed, sentimentally the car means a lot and the family would like to keep if. As for the gaskets, they are FeelPros and thanks for the advice on the antenna. I also gave to get the car detailed again, even sitting under a cover, after a year after last being cleaned, the car needs it. I'll put a little disclaimer on all of this, I don't have any qualms with bringing the car to the dealer for work I can't do, the timing guides for example, but my mentality is if I can do something myself, I'll do it. Just incase anyone was worried the car isn't being treated correctly ha

#10 ·
I thought for sure it was a misprint and actually had 116K on it. I would just sit on it and store it for as long as possible, you might have the lowest mileage example left on earth and the value should just keep going up I would think. Hell, Mercedes might be interested in it for their Young Classics museum.

#12 ·
I've seen a few with this low of miles as we had it up for sale briefly for $25k, we weren't sure of the value and quickly took it down. There is currently one on eBay, a smoke silver with burgundy interior with 14k miles, and lasr I saw the bid was at $40k. I was thinking had this car been an SL, or an SEC (I wish), the value would be significantly higher ha.

At the same time, I have always loved the AMG kits and the overall 80-ness of them on these cars. I briefly considered doing it to this car, but then realized how stupid that would be considering the circumstances. When I'm done with law school I plan on finding a 560sec that has already had those type of modifications done.

#11 ·
Congrats on taking care of a beautiful car! Last model year with only 16k miles? wow!

If you're not familiar with care for these older Mercedes, let me point out some things to make sure you're doing the up-keep correctly.

Coolant should NOT be green. Do not use any of the corrosive green antifreeze typically found. This is often a common mistake made by new owners.

Approved coolants include Zerex G-05 (yellowish color) found in your local auto parts store (typically places like Napa have them $14-18/ gallon). You can use one gallon of the full strength with one gallon of distilled water. You can also use the genuine mercedes coolant (blue color) but you cannot mix with other coolants. You can get the coolant at your local dealership or at some of the online vendors.

Regarding the valve cover gaskets, the brand you mentioned "FeelPros" I'm not familiar with. Genuine mercedes gaskets are not much and the OEM I believe is Elring. I would purchase of the the two to replace what you used. There's a chance the aftermarket ones you bought are not 100% or you may have over tightened/undertorqued the bolts.[/QUOTE]

The coolant is Zerex, it's actually what the mechanic from the Lexus dealer suggested because he himself has an 88 560sl. As for the gaskets, I have a feeling I over tightened them as when I took off the the bolts, I almost did it by hand and figured they were loose, when I put them back in, I made it snug, but not tight at all. If I remember correctly the torque was 13lbs/ft so I'll check it.

The car itself is a 1991 which from what Ive been told has all options (could be wrong) and a LSD from a mechanic who used to work on it. My grandfather bought it brand new with 12 miles on it from Mercedes Benz of Buffalo in late 1991 when they began rolling out the w140. He drove it semi regularly until 1999. Then rarely from then on until it was last inspected in 2008. From that point on, he didn't register it, but did start it monthly and drove it around the driveway and sometimes up and down the main road until 2014. So it has been sitting, but far in reality not that long

#15 ·
You mean Felpro gaskets perhaps? Better use the Benz part as mentioned here. Such low miles what a beauty! I would daily drive that bad boy. It'll be the best car you ever drive. Not sure if they salt the roads in Buffalo but that will cause big time rust so keep an eye on that. Congrats!

#17 ·
There we go ha, Felpro. The car was never driven in snow, I don't think the car has ever seen rain to be completely honest ha. My grandfather always had more than one car, so even when he did "daily" it, it was only on nice days and parked in the garage at our office building. The underneath is in amazing shape

#19 ·
So very good to have a car your grandfather owned and loved. You are very fortunate. I would never daily drive a car that nice and that few miles. I'd be afraid some kid in a fart can Honda would hit it. Welcome aboard.

#21 ·
Yes, Welcome to the Machine Gray, and what a Machine to have too. I also thought the mileage was a typo, YOU Sir are sitting in/on a virtual goldmine, like it was mentioned you could end up trading this car for an AMG of your dreams or keep it and for all intents and purposes have basically a brand new 25 year old car

#23 ·
Figured I would post up a little update. There is no more smoke from the valve cover gaskets. I assume it was leftover oil residue I failed to clean. Also the radio is working again, someone unplugged something from the amplifier, but I had to raise the antenna manually to get reception. I was curious about the oil pressure and engine temp. At idle, after a 10 minute drive, the temp is a little over 80 and the oil pressure just a tad below 2 with an idle around 800-900. Does all of this sound around what is to be expected? Thanks again.

#24 ·
Also I just found the leak, it's a hose coming from the hydralic suspension fluid reservoir and goes into the something just to the left of the power steering fluid reservoir it looks like. Is this hose under pressure, or if I change it will I have to bleed the whole system? Thanks

#25 ·
If your temp and oil pressure at idle are like shown in the picture above, you are fine. As long as the oil pressure goes back to 3 right away when you rev it up.

The leaking hose going to the SLS pump sounds like the same I had sort of leaking on my 89 SEL. Just never got around to changing it as the "leak" was more like "sweat" at that point.

#28 ·
So I gt a lot done this weekend, flushed the brake fluid, changed the differential fluid, and drained 3qts of transmission fluid (will do another soon). I found all the calipers but one were in good shape, the left front was sticking very lightly, so I will change that, but the rotors and pads were replaced in 2008, and only a few hundred miles since then. So as of now, I'm going to buy a new 9.5x3mm low pressure hose for the sls pump to the reservoir, a new idler arm bushing (very tiny bit of play), new washer fluid level sensor, and of course a new caliper. After all that, the car will be good as new. Attached are pictures of the fluid I took out, and the reservoir once it was all said and done.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.