Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear interior ceiling panel (SE/SEL)

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  281lxm 
#1 ·
My panel was warped before, as are they all in the UK. My spares car actually had a good one, rare as hens teeth in the UK with our damp weather. But then my car sprang a leak and my nice panel ended up warped beyond all repair. I could have reshaped it but where the curtain rail is attached has pulled it out horribly. It's totally buggered.

So, been hunting for a while and couldn't believe my luck when I found a brand new old stock panel. Especially satisfying when breakers were asking silly money for warped ones I could reshape. Dead chuffed, and only £28.

Only trouble is, it's grey and not cream. Almost seems a shame to doctor it, but it needs to be cream...
The options I guess are spray it or get it trimmed. Trimming maybe I could do, or an expensive trimmer. (UK prices for this kind of thing are a bit mad.) But it wouldn't match the C pillar trims then so they'd need doing too. That's hundreds of GBP I reckon.
Maybe I could do all three with faux suede or something.

Spray it? Easiest option. It won't have the depth of pattern, but I suppose it's not exactly in the eye line. I've never managed to find out which of the SEM paints would match the MB mushroom shade either.

Peel off my cream material and place on the detrimmed grey panel? Bit too scary that one I think..

Opinions welcome?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah the reinforcement isn't going to work on my ruined panel. This new one, I'll coat the rear with PVA to damp proof it. Should be fine then.

Alberto have you used this shade of the paint before? I've never managed to decide which shade would be right and most folk on the forum have only needed other colours.

#5 ·
I don't have MB mushroom anything so, no. I've read in other forums people using it and they claim SEM 15823 is just about a perfect match.

If you rather double check to confirm, find a place that sells the full SEM line. Most likely they'll have access to the cross reference software from them. They do that here and I would assume it would be the same there.

#6 ·
Nah, good enough for me. I'd hunted around for ages before but not found anything definitive on whether it'd match, and it was hard to find SEM stuff in the UK. I've ordered it from the States now. Thanks for the help.

#7 ·
Cool. Most people are familiar with Palomino and Gray results, let us know how the Light Parchment works out.

Btw, I used their gray on my interior but switched to Duplicolor because it's cheaper and the results were the same. Member White Rhino did his whole interior with it. IIRC. and it looked great.

#9 ·
I did
Medium grey duplicolor on my coupe and it looks brand new, 2 years old and going strong.

Reactions: GreenT
#10 ·
Just waited this amount of time for the SEM paint to arrive from Ebay and got about a hundred progress emails.
It was due today but now I have an email to say its not getting through customs so I've been refunded.

Ho hum, boooring..

#11 ·
That's not good let me know if you need some help.. :)

Reactions: ianrandom
#14 ·
Ho hum, message from the importer saying shipping would not be possible. Booo.

You guys in the US have it so easy sometimes. Especially with interior stuff.

I suppose I'll just try spraying it with something else, or I could always try leather dye like I've used on seats before. Not had great results with that though really.
I could get it recovered but I don't think it would go particularly well.

#15 ·
My friendly upholsterer managed to get some of the correct material (from that GAHH place I've heard of on here I think.) and re-cover it.

It looks great and I have leftover material. Shame to put holes in it now but I have to fit the curtain rail to it.

Attachments

#17 ·
All done. Looks a lot better. There is actually a very slight colour difference, the other bits must be slightly faded I guess. Nobody but me would notice though.

That bloody stupid warped bit was really ruining the look of the rear compartment.
Hopefully having sealed the behind of this one will keep it good.

Bit painful drilling holes in the panel for the curtain rail!

Attachments

#18 ·
Try duplicolor in medium grey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.