Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

380 sec

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  AzimuthAviation 
#1 ·
I am considering purchasing a 1982 380 SEC. The car seems to be in wonderful condition but my only question is this, there seems to be a delay in acceleration from a standing start. As if the stall speed of the torque converter is too high. Is this just a characteristic of this drivetrain? Any insight would be appreciated.

#3 ·
may be common

This may be a common trait as these cars also hesitate for a second in reverse as well, moreso than in drive however. This "trait" was mentioned by race car drivers who all seemed to own one in the early 80's. Carb and injection cleaner will help, but don't expect it to shoot off like a dart from a standing start. My opinion is that it's a transmission hesitation to engage. Remember these were/are luxery cars for the most part even though they are sporty coupe models. They still have the same charachteristics and dynamic as the drivetrains in the more common luxery cars, but a crossover without standing start-take off speed. The real speed is to be expectedafter the car engages into gear. 0-60 in roughly 7 seconds is quite common. Very quick and durable at the same time while being ahead of their time with many innovations. Unless the car sputters when it frives or idles there isn't a clogged injector.If everything else check out, I'd recommend getting the car. They only made around 11,000. Compared to every other car that's a bic lighter made in the millions it's a good investment, but if you get it due a tune up and clean the injectors just as "new" car maintenance.

#4 ·
dude - that's a seven (7) year old thread.

#5 ·
Dude, you apparently looked at it too so apparently I'm not completely alone. Honestly it doesn't matter anyway. Oddly it was first on the list at the bottom of my thread selling my Euro 380 so I just clicked on it. You'd think that a 7 month thread would be closed, let alone a 7 year old thread. I definitely won't be able to sleep tonight.

Life goes on as they say, unless you die.

#7 ·
Actually, considering "we" all know of your shameful error in judgement has been just you, the shameful error in judgement would not be someone who's trying to contribute and give helpful advice to anyone with a similar question responding to an open post, ut rather someone being on here for the wrong reasons and being so petty as to criticise something that isn't any help to anyone. It doesn't matter to me in the least bit. Now that you've had your fun you can go look for something else to criticise seeing as that is such a major contribution to benzworld and the people of this community. The threads stay open for a reason. If someone else, not just the guy who posted it has a similar question anyone's future answers might be helpful, especially if the previous answer wasn't helpful enough or fully explained. Is the deadlin to answer a week, a month, a year more? I shouldn't have to answer this but if it stays open to answer any future responses can be of assistance to others. I should have searched and searched for a newer posted question of th same type according to you? If you clicked on to know something about the issue and not only looking at dates of posting you might have gotten or responded with something relevant. With responses like yours everyone's questions to similar issues are sure to be solved. Good job and thank you for your insightful contribution. If everyone on here made points like yours no one would ever be reading any possibly helpful information.

#8 · (Edited)
Hold Up

rather someone being on here for the wrong reasons and being so petty as to criticise something that isn't any help to anyone.
Not saying it's the wrong reason, but let's face it - you only joined this forum to sell your car :p As such... accept your neub mistake & take a little ribbing by a member who's made many contributions to this board over the years. That's in contrast to some disinformation you just shared. The 1st thing that puzzled me was when you wrote:
This "trait" was mentioned by race car drivers who all seemed to own one in the early 80's.
To which I'm thinking... why in the world would a "racer" buy a 380... instead of the 500-series ? :confused:
But then when I read:
0-60 in roughly 7 seconds is quite common.
I knew those off-the-line speeds refer to 560's - NOT US-spec 380's, which are relative 'dogs' @ 2 tons. If I'm wrong... please cite your sources.

#9 ·
I was just ribbing you mate ;)
I thought it was cute how you answered a seven year old post and got all defencive when it was pointed out is all...
No offence intended
I personally think some old threads could be dragged to the fore occasionally
As a Newer member (ie only the last couple of years)there have been plenty of awesome topics disscussed that i would have enjoyed taking part in, like best use of w126 in film(actually that would be a wicked thread with the utube link on the site now),best pop culture referance..etc etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.