Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oil Change Due.

3K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Chatmanx 
#1 ·
Any harm putting this diesel oil in my SEC?

15/40 weight and only $45 Cdn for 9.5 L at Walmart.

See less See more
#2 ·
Other than its not for gas?

Your car, I would not buy it but I prefer hot weather oil 20/50 for me. Stick to what works best for you:

#4 · (Edited)
I use Rotella 15-45 and the equivalent Chevron Diesel oil in my gas cars and have for about 7 years. I like the higher ZDP rating and its good for our aluminum engines.

#5 ·
I'm a brad penn guy

#8 ·
Yes to the ZDDP not being ideal for catalytic converters. It's partly why they changed the formulation of oils to have less in. That and particulate filters, which we obviously don't have.
I regret using normal oil now, having converted recently to a brand called Millers after getting their advice on ZDDP. Even MB own spec oil is much less ZDDP than its ideal for our own engines, but the level in this Millers stuff is good.
Whatever you use, you can just check the data sheet or enquire from the company.

#9 ·
My cat was quite restricted, original. I think my indy was using Castrol 20w50 and I started doing my own after the cat delete and ceramic tri-y and cat-less exhaust. Remember here in SoTex, its 90-95F but humidity is so thick the feels like temp is 100-110. Cars get hot here, lifetime batteries get 3 years typically, thicker oil keeps her slippery longer.

Mclare gave me a tip, if you want a 15/40 10/40 then top it off as needed with lucasoil new engine breakin. Its about a pint and has twice the amount of zddp of a quart.

#14 · (Edited)
I don't know if Canadian oils use the same rating system as US oils, but Diesel oil is fine for use in spark ignition engines as long as it has an appropriate spark ignition rating. Diesel oils carry a compression ignition rating like CJ-4 (C for compression and 4 for 4 stroke) for example. Shell Rotella T (is that the oil you're asking about?) is a Diesel rated oil that also carries the following spark ignition ratings (S for spark): SM, SL, SJ and SH. If any of them meet the requirements of the engine in question then the oil is fine to use. If the oil does not carry an "S" rating then you have no way of knowing if it is suitable for use in spark ignition engines.

#15 ·
If it's good enough for ColoRich, it's good enough for me.:wink

BTW, I could have bought the 9.5 L jug for $10 cheaper when I spent last week in tax free Lincoln New Hampshire. But with the Cdn dollar sitting at 80 cents it would have cost about the same and it also created more room in the trunk for all the vodka, rum, brandy, whiskey and tequila I bought at the N H State booze outlet.:wink:wink

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks for your support! ;)

Rotella T is a fine oil, suitable for just about anything on the road today. (OK, maybe not a Tesla...) Rotella T-6 is a synthetic, also reasonably priced. Comes in 5W-40 and is great for cold weather use. (Both are even rated for use in motorcycles with wet clutches.)

#18 ·
MB 229.5 is classed as a modern mid saps oil and so does not have the same formulation. Not enough ZDDP.

That is what I was told by the oil expert when asking questions of their technical help dept.

#19 ·
In around 2009, there came a recommended fluids list from Mercedes saying that all older vehicles should use 229.5. I have it somewhere and used to be able to link it from startekinfo but they later removed it.

Here's a quote from mobiloil.com:

“For an older, flat tappet, performance motor with inherent cam wear issues is there any benefit to mixing high ZDDP Mobil 1 Racing™ 4T 10W-40 to Mobil 1™ High Mileage 0W-30 oil? The 15W-50 creates TOO MUCH oil pressure. It would be nice if you had a product for 'Classic' cars, high ZDDP, 0W-30 and 0W-40. I have used nothing but Mobil 1™ for 15+ years.”
https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our...o-reach-the-right-zddp-level-for-classic-cars
Mobil 1™ 0W-40 already contains a higher level of ZDDP (1,000 ppm) that could benefit your flat tappet engine. We also have a Mobil 1™ High Mileage 10W-40 (1,000 ppm); see our table listing the phosphorous levels for all Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oils.

I had debated it in these model forums before, but can't tell if this is enough ZDDP compared to the formula OP posted.

This post has been deleted
#24 ·
We've strayed from "15/40 weight and only $45 Cdn for 9.5 L at Walmart."...

(Interesting: when I read the original post I couldn't see a picture so didn't know what specific oil the OP was looking at. Here at work I see it was Rotella all along...

#27 ·
Sorry about that. There is an "updated" viscosity chart floating about the W204 forums which I believe applies. I like the flexibility of the 0W in case of cold weather conditions. Most engine damage from what I've heard happens at start-up, meaning you don't want the thick oil sluggishly pumped up during that critical time. The -40 applies to hot oil, so would provide the same protection...

0W-40 is what I use on all the Mercedes in the household.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.