Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W126 current values?

11K views 65 replies 20 participants last post by  MCMLXIX 
#1 ·
Hi all! curious on opinions for W126 values? I'm selling my wife's 1990 300SE,had it listed on eBay for a 10 day auction with a reserve and highest it got was $2700,had over 300 views, 16 watching,4 bid's,condition is 9 out of 10,miles 167k,only thing it will need is tires,they have 10k on them ,but suffer from age cracks.
its a pristine example and she refuses to sell it cheap,so what are they really worth nowadays? below are NADA values.
thanks for any opinions and have a great weekend!
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300SE
4 Door Sedan

MSRP LOW AVERAGE HIGH
Base Price $52,950 $4,350 $6,175 $10,700
Options: (add)
TOTAL PRICE: $52,950 $4,350 $6,175 $10,700

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I own one. Bought it 2 years ago with 168,000 miles. Pristine with all service records, $2800. California car, almost perfect paint no immediate issues. I'm 67 and that's the age, generally, the car appeals to IMO. It has no inherent collector value. Its only value is condition, condition, condition!

#20 ·
Edmunds only goes back to 1990 and seems very low.

Pricing Details for a 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class Coupe
560SEC 2dr Car
National Base Price
Trade-In $777, Private Party $1,518, Dealer Retail $2,753.

#7 ·
Well my last listing had 172 hires pictures,one 3 min HD video of exterior and interior, another 4 min video of car driving and engine running, list of dealer service's for last 20 years, new trans, new reg,smog cert, I don't know? maybe to much info? looked at sold SE'S for the last 6 months,blew my mind when I saw several close to mine sold 4500-9k on eBay.
2 years ago listed my old 78 Chevy truck same way and sold full price in 10 day auction. I think for cars like these ebay is global and best way to go.
Time is on my side.:grin

#8 ·
It's sad what market value is for these grand cars, but they are becoming relic of days gone by. I absolutely driving mine everyday, and would seriously consider getting another if mine ever got crashed. It would not take much for insurance to total one of these. They go for $1800 to 4K tops around here depending on condition.

BTW love your car, very similar to mine, just diff interior color.

#10 ·
I did have a buyer in the UAE very interested ,but he did not speak English. and wanted me to arrange shipping. one of my buddies who owns a exotic car transport co. told me to watch out! many scams from UAE,car arrives, car disappears,seller wants money back,whole time he's got the car.

#39 ·
Wow Luke! You are an opinionated sob! But then, I knew that already as I've read many of your posts.

My 1991 300 SE was - to me- very desirable. I have every intention of keeping this forever. The last year of production, shorter wheelbase by 6 inches, an I6, great color and 32K original miles. I paid a premium for it, but it is beautiful, and sexy!!

Every area of the car looks as new: engine, interior and trunk, and of course exterior. Will be entering it into the Ault Park Concours event in Cincinnati during Startech in June.

Attachments

#13 ·
well if you go to ebay and enter MB 300SE or whatever you want,then go to advanced selection,then check off sold,they list all the cars sold and if you click on the picture,it will show you the listing, what piss's me off is most sold have little info or pictures and sold!?,my son told me just keep it simple,if they are truly interested they will ask for more info,young whippersnapper may be right?LOL:devil

#15 ·
I bought mine in a midsized town in the CA Central Valley. It had 72K miles, was garage stored, and still with the retired original owner. I paid the asked $5,500 a couple hours after it was listed. I do know that they got two offers above asking later that day.

I think that it is largely the miles.

Using google, if you enter 300se site:craigslist.org/cto you can see many of the 300se's listed by owner in the country. You can also use the new filters that craigslist provides for cars and trucks and then click to pick other locations. That way, you can cover the big cities in the West in about 2 minutes.

I think that $3,000 would be reasonable. I did recently sell an 86 Jaguar XJ6 with 90K miles for $2,200 and an 86 Corvette with 130K miles for $4200. Both were in good to very good condition.

#17 ·
W126 Values

I just bought a 1990 420SEL with 118,000 miles - new timing chain, new Pirelli tires (including spare), new front brakes, leather in gorgeous condition (just needs a little re-dying touch up), new battery, mostly everything works (except cruise control, rear power window-already fixed, minor stuff), not a bit of rust anywhere - for $2,500

Of course I'm tinkering on her all the time to get near perfection, but that's just me (and whole bunch of you out there too).

Attachments

#22 ·
18 months ago I sold my 90 300SE w/119K miles and a huge stack of maintenence receipts from the first owner, excellent condition inside and out, everything worked etc. etc. For $2500 which I think was a decent price.

The guy I sold it to tried flipping it for $5000 right after he bought it, but didn't get anything close to it. I think he ended up selling it for 3000.

So yeah, as it has been said already, the market has spoken and that's the price. If your wife doesn't like the price, then she just needs to keep on driving it. :dunno:

Reactions: carnut62
#25 ·
I'm halfway trying to sell my 86' 560SEL. I paid a little more because it had black interior and I was ok with that becasue it was important to me. It now has Euro headlights and corner lights. Added a shift lever that allows the use if a more modern shift knob. Added 17" forged wheels with new tires to the tune of $1600. Have the original wheels with like new tires as well. I replaced the rubber bits on top of the motor, injector seals and refurb injectors. I also have extra parts including monovalves and fuel pump assembly. All in I have a little over $5600. It's 29 years old and still needs love. It needs an enthusaist, but I'll probably take a loss when I sell it. My only saving grace is that I dont NEED to sell, so I can wait for the person who will really enjoy the car and what I've done to it...

#60 ·
All in I have a little over $5600.
The amount you have "into" a vehicle has absolutely no relevance to the amount that you might get "out of" a vehicle.

Even mentioning the two in the same paragraph looks a bit ridiculous.

I have $11K into the SD over 13 years. I want to get $12K for it even though it has 265K on the clock. Think that will happen in my lifetime?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.