Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Is this W126 worth buying?

8K views 82 replies 19 participants last post by  Faiz Jan 
#1 ·
I have been considering a W126 (would prefer a 420SEL) as the next in my collection, and keep in eye out for possibilities. A 1986 300SE (although the seller named it as a 380SE, but I didn't think that existed in 1986) came up near me. As you can see in the pictures, it's needs some help. I am still waiting for interior pictures, but supposedly in runs and drives.

Since I don't know W126's well, tell me what you think. Are those European bumpers and lights? And what about that spoiler?

He is asking $800. With the little information I have so far, does that seem reasonable? And even if the interior is trashed, is it worth buying for parts, if those are European features?

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
You need to pop the hood. It may be titled as a 1986, but the body is of a '1985 and before' car. The 1986 w126 would have smoothed lower door panel guards, not the grooved ones like the pics show. If it really is a 300SE from 1986, it'd have a straight six and someone swapped the door panels. If it's a V8, then it's probably a 380 from 1985. 380s don't have much power and they're not too loved, but if it's a euro 380, then the power will be up. It has euro headlights, aftermarket front side markers, and US taillights. At least it comes with side-skirts, a spoiler, and short euro bumpers. Hard to go wrong for $800 - you could part it and get your money back. Hope you're in the mood for a project...

#9 ·
and US taillights.
It also has Euro tail lights.....
Difference of opinions????

I'd want to find out why it was parked, but yea, looks cool.
He planned on fixing it up, but found other projections..supposedly.

And that's not even considering if it has Tri's.
I understand that has to do with the exhaust, but how do I tell?

It also has Gen II Euro Bumpers, those are worth bucks. Maybe a grand.
Gen II Euro bumpers on a Gen I car?

Hope you're in the mood for a project...
I never have shied away from projects. Just like to make sure it is a project worth putting my time (and money) into.

#5 ·
I'm sure he'll take 500 for it. Can't go wrong with that, for sure.

Looks pretty neglected, but I'm sure you could get your money back with just the bumpers and headlights. Headlights could be aftermarket, too, but still worth something.

#7 ·
As what they all said, buy it.

#8 · (Edited)
You have Euro lights and wipers and that's worth the $800 alone.

It also has Euro tail lights.....

And that's not even considering if it has Tri's.

If it does you got about 2 grand in parts there just for what I mentioned.

It also has Gen II Euro Bumpers, those are worth bucks. Maybe a grand. **EDIT** I was in a hurry when I wrote this, on my way out so I only glanced at it. It does look like a Gen I, and if it is a 6 cyl, then no Tri's. But it still has some good parts.

The cars worth the $800 as is, but maybe try and get him down a little. But it is way worth it in parts.

Reactions: ch.1953
#13 ·
I'd get the VIN from the seller and look it up on one of the Russian VIN sites.

Might give some insight to what it looked like new (config.) Just tell him you want to run a Carfax.

The sticker in the front windshield on the drivers side look like the type used by the US Army for military base access.

I am guessing an officer bought it in Europe while she was stationed there, then had Uncle Sam ship it back to the US on the cheap.

#14 ·
The sticker in the front windshield on the drivers side look like the type used by the US Army for military base access.
The only stickers I see on the driver's side is the Texas inspection and registration stickers. :dunno: Former expired over two years ago and the latter a little over a year ago, so it's probably been sitting for a while.

#15 ·
Those are definitely US tails -- you can see the break in orange as it turns to red.

Gen 1 panels and bumpers so it's likely an '85 unless there was a run of "gen 2" cars that got some gen 1 panels?

Popping the hood or the VIN will tell for sure. If it's a 300, you'll have the M103.981 in it, decent power and economy, and a perfect candidate for a 5-speed swap using either a 16V dogleg G275 or that 5-speed off a 2.6L M103 out of a 190E.

Kit wise, all it's got are side skirts and a spoiler, so not much there to go on visually without looking for a name on said parts.

I think it would be worth it in parts alone.

#17 ·
Not a 300 since these didn't come out til '88.

Tamerlane's Thoughts: Mercedes W126 300SE buyers guide/ owner interview

Now if it's a 380 U.S. The vin would start with wdbca, whereas euro starts with wdb126xxxx

Even if it has euro lights, it's still an albatross to deal with someone else's abandoned "problem" work-wise. You can find an elegant 1989 300SE and get an overall enjoyable w126 experience. I'm guessing you want something turnkey that needs small TLC.

But still worth a look in person, or at the minimum get more pics and the VIN.

#27 · (Edited)
300SEL's came out first in '88, then the SE's followed in '89 for the U.S. Market.

I was correcting the previous statement that there were 86-87's and there certainly weren't any U.S. market 300's then. This is from a perspective of the OP finding a decent 300SE (or 420SEL if he desired).

Granted, there's a few euro 86-87's 300 euros floating around like the 5speed one in the CL thread.

So the author of the article was correct in that the 300SE was "offered" from 88-91 (for the 89 model year). At least for the USA.

#28 ·
The author was indeed correct when it came to US cars, but we don't know exactly what we're dealing with here, meaning there are a lot of possibilities.

Who cares what it is at this point, it's got lots of good parts on it.

#32 ·
Ok, have VIN (which is Euro):
WDB12602212041139

Still awaiting additional pictures. I am out running errands. Would someone please run the VIN or do a Carfax (only if you have an account already), then copy/paste? Thank.

#34 · (Edited)
Here's the EPC info. Buy it!!!

Datacard shows this,

Sales Description: 280 SE

Order number: 0 1 237 00531 (Braunsweig Branch)

Paint Code 1: 932 (Lapis Blue Metallic)

Equipment: (Interior), Fabric, Viking, Anthracite / Dark Gray

Engine number: 110987 12 034671

Transmission: 02 118686

SA Codes (Options)

038A, (intertior, see above)

410, Electric Sliding Sun Roof

420, Automatic Transmission Shift on floor

466, Central Locking System

535, Interference without radio set (noise suppression)

590, Green insulating glass all around

600, Headlamp Washer and wipers.

640, 15 hole light aluminum wheels

656, Michelin Tires

812, Rear Mounted loud speaker

932, (Paint, see above)

#37 ·
So it's actually a 280? Wow... Too bad it's auto, but yeah, definitely worth the 800 just in parts.

But I'm also pretty sure NT never pays the asking price, so... :D

#41 ·
Got pics, but still mobile, so can't post. Not a 280SE....it definitely has a V8 engine with an intact cloth interior. And according to the car check, it will have well over 200k miles. Has faded paint on trunk and roof, but not hood and elsewhere.

I am on the fence here. Don't want to put money into a limited-return vehicle...but is it?? I just don't know the potential investment (or lack there of) of this car? W124's I know, not W126's. Go for it still, or wait for a later model year 420SEL?

#43 · (Edited)
False alarm on the V8, he was sending pics of other cars. This one definitely is 6 cylinder. And the dash is sun-cracked. Looking less and less like a car I want unless I plan on parting it out.

It is 300 miles away. Not a distance to travel lightly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.