Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

battery tender, trickle charger options

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  dadrab 
#1 ·
i need to pick up a simple device that will allow my battery to not die when i am out of town for 10 days or so.

My battery at around the week mark if it doesnt start will die.

i know there are the NOCO and Ctek options but basically i dont have time to do an order, so my options are from local brick and mortor stores, walmart, sears, pepboys autozone etc

what options do u guys recommend,

thanks

#2 ·
#4 ·
I leave my vehicles parked for months at a time with no trickle and no jump needed. I have been told that cheapo trickle charges (which I own (2) and do use for my lawn equipment) shorten battery life because they are continuous and do not shut off when a battery is fully charged. This sounds right to me. Something is wrong if you need it for 10 days.

#5 ·
The battery I am using is a interstate megatron800
The biggest version of it. Purchased 4 years ago or so. Maybe the battery has some wear to die so soon. Regardless iv still need to use something.

#6 ·
The one I posted has logic in it to shut off when charged so it won't cook it. That being said, I'd agree that your battery is about toast.

#10 ·
I agree. Battery probably does need change

Right now I don't have time to change it or go thru fuses

When I get back I shall investigate

In the meantime I have picked up both the Schumacher battery maintainer/ trickle charger and a battery tender plus

They seam the same. But the battery tender states it is not a trickle

We shall see what happens

#12 ·
in late 90s early 2000s parents tell me there was issue with an alarm that was sucking power....i got rid of that alarm

currently i have a viper remote start alarm but when i go for vaca i dont put the alarm on just lock it manually

i do haVE 2 amps, but how would they draw power if the car is off?

#18 ·
ok negative....i put the red clip on the battery and the black on the metal of the car

weird thing is whenver i have had to jumpstart the car, the only way to get it started was with both clips on the battery

#16 ·
Simple test:

Remove the ground connection from the battery and put a volt meter (>12 volt range) positive on the battery negative lead and negative on the battery negative terminal. The reading you get will be proportional to the parasitic load on the battery. It is very sensitive. Pull fuses until you find the circuit causing the draw.

If you have a DC ammeter, you can use that instead.

#17 ·
thanks all....heading out so for now, just will try the battery tender plus and see what happens...when i get back ill start to figure out the issues in detail

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.