Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Adding newer seats and door panels to an '84 300SD

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  accre810n 
#1 ·
Hello,
Just got my first Benz the other day and looking to do some interior work. Anybody know if there are newer seats that are compatible with an '84 300SD? What's the newest model that are compatible? Is it possible to install ones that have adjustment controls on the side of the chairs instead of on the door? What about adding newer door panels? Any advice would be highly appreciated (especially from those with personal experience). Thank you.

#2 ·
All short wheel base sedans are compatible and you are probably better finding a manual adjustment set as the electrics would be difficult (not impossible)
I have done 3 interior changes from Cloth to Leather etc
It might help if you fill out your profile too so people from your area may be able to help you out

#3 ·
Are your seats currently power with controls on the door?

There is no mb seat with control in the seat itself, you would have to get custom seats like recaro with controls in the seat itself

Front seats from a 89-91 sel sedan are better , from a 89-91 sec coupe the best of all . They will work with your current door adjustment if you have power seats now

#4 ·
Generation II seats are a direct bolt in onto you current seat frames and motors and will be a major improvement in looks and firmness over your current seats. I just did this swap, front and rear, in my 1982 300sd. Search for my thread "my 1982 300sd restoration" if you want to see some pictures. FYI, I paid $600.00 for the seats and they are in perfect shape.

The door panels from a Gen II car will fit as well. Just make sure they are from the right car. Not sure how "long" the rear panels are on an SDL vs a standard sedan. The newer panels will give you the "gathered" leather as opposed to the perforated leather as installed in the Gen I cars. Door panel removal is very easy. Peachparts.com has a great tutorial if you have never removed the door panels before. Please read as these panels on a mercedes come off differently than other cars and if you try to pry them off as a lot of other cars you will break the mounting tabs. The panels lift up first and then away from the door.

#5 ·
Just re-read that you have an SD and not an SDL which is much easier. Just source the panels from a like bodied sedan.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone for your great advice. I really appreciate you taking your time to help out a newbie. Can someone help me understand what exactly is considered a Gen II vehicle? What model/year would fall into that category? I tried looking it up, and maybe I'm not using the right terminology, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. If someone could please suggest the latest model/year that I can switch the seats and door panels to, I would really appreciate it. And I do currently have power controls on the door panel, so one that matches the connectors would be helpful as well. If possible, I'm looking to switch the panels and the seats from the same vehicle (probably from a salvage yard), so something that matches both for my 300SD would be ideal. Thank you again for your help everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.