Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

w126 front & rear Tire Rubbing - I.S.O. coil spring solution

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  hhil 
#1 · (Edited)
1985 W126 (only 325kmiles) Ok, this was probably dumb, installed 215/75/14 tires. At dips or bounce, front fenders rub tire edge. Anyone have thoughts on new &/or taller springs - lifters? . ... or just eat the tires and go back to smaller diameter. ?
:|

#2 ·
I am assuming you had the stock 205/70/14 tires based on the car being a 380SE
It would probably be easier and cost much less to go back to smaller tires. You went from 25.4" to 26.7" diameter and .3" wider. I am sort of surprised they are rubbing.
Old springs could be the issue. They do sag over time and if they are original at 30 years old they could have lost as much an inch. Just using Rock Auto for KYB replacements the fronts are $50 apiece and the rears are $80 apiece. How old are the shocks on the car? That can also make the problem seem worse. I am just guessing because every car is different regardless of age and mileage.
Kuhmo makes a great tire in the stock size called the Solus KR21 for $70 with free shipping from Discount Tire.

The cost of parts and labor to rework the suspension is really an unknown. Once the springs are removed you may find more things that are worn out and need replacing. If you can source the springs(and other possible parts) and do the labor it would not be that bad. Then getting an alignment done. Doing all four corners as a DIY is a big job especially if you do not have a lift. If it goes to the shop labor is going to be a lot more than just the $280 for the Kuhmo tires.

#3 ·
I think you can get different thickness spring pads, however that opens a can of worms where once you get in there you find that you need your entire suspension rebuilt.

look at these to give you and idea of what needs done

https://mercedessource.com/store/126-brake-control-rod-ball-joint-bushing-kit-guide-rod-mounts-x-2

https://mercedessource.com/store/126-chassis-lower-front-suspension-ultimate-restoration-kit

Even then you may need smaller tires, IDK.

BTW

the W126 forum has plenty of people that are a lot more familiar with your issue.

#4 ·
re: w126 front & rear Tire Rubbing

Thanks, yep , original springs, probably way overdue for new coils anyway. Got a new set of front Lesjofors (yeah, I know there are Bilstein advocates), but will have to very soon ratchet back to stock 205, Who Knew? 205 -vs-215 could make such a mess.
[[b.t.w. I am not trying for monster truck tires ... saw some on a Bubba'd-up w126]]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.