Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

weird factory options

7K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  TexFinn 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1990 diesel model sales brochure and it lists offering optional "reinforced frames" for the front seats. weird. can someone explain?

also, notice how the picture of the rear sunshade for the w126 does not have the ubiquitous center rod. weird. explanation?

just curious.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The factory has/had hundreds of options that were available from the factory for various regions around the world. Mercedes Benz North America ("MBNA") was very restrictive in the options they they "Allowed" into the US market. MBNA set the std. equipment and the options that were available for all of the model lines. For instance, Bulletproofing was commonly available in the middle east, but not really offered here. Africa equipped cars could option heavier cooling equipment and suspension.

I think I have a list of all of them somewhere.

I just found it. There are 113 pages of options!

#4 ·
I would love to see that list posted if you could!

#5 ·
that's true mclare. but what is really intriguing is the possibility that there is this one option that was offered, and selected, among a limited set of options in north america that apparently nobody knows about.

presumably the different seats look the same. the implications would be that there are a bunch of w126 owners out there who can't even feel which kind of seat they own, and yet would be much more comfortable with the version they don't have... assuming the "reinforcement" affects comfort and not something else...

#9 ·
Yes, I agree that that is a very rare option and one I've not heard of myself. The MB seats are already pretty robust.

#7 ·
I also have a 169 page document of all of the computer codes.

No, I don't publish these as they were given to me by my friend at Mercedes and he asked me not to publicly post them.

If you want them, PM me your email.

#13 ·
I thought the reinforced seats was standard in the US cars. This videos might shed some light. It cant look though it now but i am pretty sure they talked about the seats in the building them and later on as to why they are built that way almost an hr in.

#14 · (Edited)
I thought the reinforced seats was standard in the US cars. This videos might shed some light. It cant look though it now but i am pretty sure they talked about the seats in the building them and later on as to why they are built that way almost an hr in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSG0B0esk8g
If you glance at the USA brochure I posted, it is listed as optional.

To make it clear to everyone, this list shows the 300D 2.5 and the 300SDL side by side. S stands for standard. -- means not available

for the SDL, the antitheft alarm is clearly listed S for standard.

The electric sliding sunroof and velour upholstery all show "O1" which stands for "no cost option". Ok, makes sense, virtually all NA cars would stick with sunroof and leather.

but for the "reinforced seat frames" it is clearly "O3" which stands for "left and right seats, each optionally available" same as the "orthopedic" option

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
That would be options 561, 562 and 563

It's on the list.
excellent work GreenT, so a VIN will show this?

if so, its time for a little experiment hehe.

we need to send someone out into the field with their '90 or '91 w126 to find a 90/91 with the opposite feature and then compare and contrast the feel of the passenger seats by sitting in them back to back repeatedly.

#27 ·
That has never been really much of a secret.

#21 ·
Funny you mention that, just a decade before...

564 from 01.04.1970 to 31.03.1976 " SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT FOR CO-DRIVER'S SEAT AND DRIVER'S SEAT ON THE LEFT, REINFORCED"
566 from 01.04.1970 to 31.03.1976 " SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT FOR CO-DRIVER'S SEAT AND DRIVER'S SEAT ON THE RIGHT, REINFORCED"
567 from 01.04.1970 to 31.03.1976 " SEAT HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT FOR CO-DRIVER'S SEAT AND DRIVER'S SEAT ON THE LEFT AND ON THE RIGHT, REINFORCED"​

#23 · (Edited)
Reinforced seats are an option everywhere available! Our chancelor Helmut Kohl always ordered all Mercedes with that option:D

The reinforcement were a hard felt plate and stronger springs in the frame. In the 80ies there have been a lot of "impressive" persons, which needed this option, but its still an option for all mercedes today.

The rear sunshade without pole is a manual one.

Those things were called "Kundensonderwunsch" aka customers special desires. They were available additionally to the regular options list.

To top that, there also were "Kundensondersonderwunsch". Sounds weird, but thats real. These very special wishes were i.e. things like this wooden box between the split seats. there never was a list about them and they were made for famous people or such with influence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.