Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

renewing 500SEL exhaust systems

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Luke Colorado 
#1 ·
Hi all experts! Need a little help here.

I have 1985 (pre-facelift) 500SEL that needs complete new exhaust system. I want to keep it original.

The system under my SEL looks like in the picture.

The question is: I have located new (used) system but its taken from 500SEC. Does it fit under SEL or does it need some new pipe?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The 500SEC exhaust will be shorter. May be shorter between down pipes and kidney resonators, but could be shorter between the muffler and the kidneys. I do not recall if the dimensions of a sedan and coupe are different in the latter area. I do know between the down pipes and the kidneys are shorter.
Most of us ditch the kidneys because of age and weight and the 4 905 bends in and out of the kidneys that restrict the flow. Won't be much louder if distinguishable at all. Nice to hear that engine rumble, but not enough to be noisy inside.

I just measured my system going back into my Widebody Cabriolet this morning. it is 10ft-8 1/2 inches from center of down pipes to the outside edge of the rear most muffler hanger hook. I measured as I am having to do some creative piping between the forward end of the double pipes and the down pipes to get ride of that terrible CA CARB kurfuggle exhaust and the cat.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.