Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rare Koenig gen 1.5 coupe - unique body kit

14K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  GreenT 
#1 ·
1988 Mercedes Benz 560SEC Koenig Specials - Bulldog Bros

Never seen a Koenig kit like this - it looks like the gen 1 but without the testarossa strakes. I think I like it better than gen1 or gen 2 kits

Wonder if this was a custom modified gen1 kit or if Koenig made this one this way originally - its the only one ive ever seen

#4 ·
I believe that is the later Gen II Koening kit. Maybe And007 will enlighten us. Got to love the Gotti 3 piece wheels.

#15 ·
Good eye Luke. Totally with you on it.
This is a GEN1 line all over so can not be a GEN2.
(see the trunk and rear panels)
GEN1 also should have a KoenigSpecial stamp visible in the front and rear bumper if original and/or not grinded off by stupid a body shop.
It also could be a colon :wink

#12 ·
I believe that is a Gen II Wing. Mine droops more on the outside edges I think. Pretty close though. Mine is for sure a Gen I wing.

#13 ·
Koenig will still do the kit install on these? Now that's nifty, assuming it's still the same Koenig from back in the 80s.

That double spoiler deal on that silver car just ruins it for me; it's so over-the-top it's just ridiculous. The standard molded deck lid to rear quarter panel spoiler is nice though, and what gives this kit it's classic look from the rear.

#18 ·
I just remembered that 15 years ago I was going to buy my very first Gen1 KS but got sold out by the time I got to it.
The very next car I had find was in Japan in a black color. Luckily I sent it to Germany to KS asking about the engine update for it
and they told me it is a copy. We sent an email to Japan complaining and they answer was that based on the price we should have known that it is a copy. (it was about $20,000.00)They did advertised it as KS not as a copy do.
It had the same body without the wing. My vote is that it is a copy, even with all the interior - somewhat period correct items.
I like the look of it.

#22 ·
On this discussion, does anyone know if the lower spoilet on the trunk lip is in 3 pieces or are the side panel pieces molded into the flare panels? Wouldn't mine finding that trunk spoiler set to enhance the wing on the Widebody....... Just thinking out loud, It would really tie in the wing and flow of the lines.

#25 ·
I think so too Luke. And the fact that the side spoilers are molded into the panels pretty much prempts the use of the spoiler anyway. God protects fools and children.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.