Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Pre Purchase Inspection Help

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  GreenT 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

My 91 420 SEL just had a PPI and the shop that did the inspection found some interesting things but that don't make allot of sense,

1. "-FRONT LEFT LOWER BALL JOINT B
ONLY INSTALLED HALF WAY B"
They said NOTHING to me when I left the shop about it, Isn't that a safety issue? How could they let a car leave like that? I called my mechanic who did change the ball joint last year and he thought it was impossible. The car had an alignment in June and they also said nothing.

2. "-VALVE COVERS ARE LEAKING OIL B
-POSSIBLY HEAD GASKETS ARE B
LEAKING OIL B"

I did have a old leak from the oil fill cap and it has dried oil as pictured here,
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr78/jcb928/Mercedes Engine/oilresidue_zps11f35e94.jpg

The guy paying for the inspection wanted a compression test that they didn't do, Wouldn't that be the way to tell if the head gasket is leaking? Doesn't that look like a old oil leak to you?

I probably should have pressure washed the engine and covered it in armor all but I always prefer a honest engine myself.

Is it possible to have a half installed ball joint without any issues? (drives great)

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok when I saw a loose oil cap, I noticed the gasket as I had a trail of oil. I replaced the 23 year old cap and cleaned the evidence of oil. That is not dishonest, that is being tidy I think. The PPI folks see oil, they say its a leak as it was, you just didn't clean up, and it was avoidable. Asking over the internet about the opinion of a mechanic on the ball joint is like the wife asking if the jean make her butt look fat....LOL. cant help there, take car to PPI place and demand some answers and a copy of their written remarks, take to putz who did the job for you and get her fixed. Was it a substandard part that failed? maybe it has maybe it hasn't. I think safety wise, you have to check it out.

Valve covers leak due to improper torque technique so they flare or bell out and do not seal eventually. Drivers side rear is a pressure port and a common head gasket leak for oil. Bad gasket and flimsy valve covers leak if not torqued but follow the trail(s). Compression test can indicate a problem, but you can see it with excessive leaks, consumption possible oily exhaust or coolant oily or oil has coolant in it . JMO, GLWS

#4 ·
Ball joint, go ask mechanic that did PPI, or take back to one that did the job and have him inspect again.
2 ways to repair ball joint, press in new one, or replace entire A arm. I hear it is a bear to press out/in.

oil fill cap, replace and clean
head gasket, didnt see oil leaks in pictures. the gasket fails externally, no loss of compression, just starts leaking oil on the outside of engine. usually rear corners.

power wash engine carefully, then you can look for any new leaks afterwards.

If I am buying a car, I do like to see engine in natural condition, but if selling I would clean things up a bit, but not go as far as armor all, that just looks tacky and like you are dressing a pig.

Attachments

#6 ·
Yea, I remember a guy who smeared Vaseline all over his car, said it made the dull paint shine :eek and he couldn't figure why nobody wanted his car, he eventually scrapped it

Reactions: GreenT
#7 ·
Thanks guys, I am trying to get into see my mechanic but he is backed up.

I took a couple of pics to try and see what the PPI tech saw but the ball joint looks fine to me.

What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.