Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Vacuum Trunk Locking

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Teutone 
#1 ·
So ive been meaning to ask the forum about this issue ive had about as far back as i can remeber having the car.

This issue has caused me to lock the keys in my trunk once before but it was alright because i have the master key 2 spares and the valet key.

Anyways what will happen is ill be working on someones car or my own and ill go back and forth to my car to get another tool from the trunk and after maybe 30min to an hour if i go to push the trunk lock to open the trunk, you will just hear the trunk and all the doors lock. The trunk will not open and this i THINK only happens with all the doors and trunk closed but not 100%.

Is this some kind of normal antitheft feature or do i have a leaking vacuum element or something?

Other than that posible issue i just told you of, the locking and unlocking is normal.

#4 ·
Ah, a car with a mind all it's own :bowdown:

Reactions: GreenT
#7 · (Edited)
The boot on the vacuum actuator for the trunk lock might be cracked enough for a slow air leak. You just might be jarring the mechanism enough to cause it to activate when you're pressing on the button from the outside.

I had a similar issue, except my trunk lock actuator boot was completely torn. The entire car would lock itself 15-60 seconds after I unlocked the doors from any of the locks and would do so even quicker if I "persuaded" it to by messing around near the trunk. Had this lock me out of a running car once.

Try this: unlock the car and open the trunk lid then start pounding on the carpeted panel behind the tumbler with a fist and jiggling the button around to see if you can get the car to lock down. The assembly is easy to get to: (1) remove the plastic kick panel trim across the top which is just pressed in, (2) remove the 2 taillight covers, (3) pull back the carpet.

If the problem isn't in the trunk, it could be anywhere in the system. Mityvac time.

#8 ·
For a different reason I carry TWO keys, that way I can always lock/unlock the doors no matter :wink

#9 ·
With the trunk lid open, you an move the metal rod between the locking mechanism and vacuum pod, to either lock or unlock all locks. The length of the rod can be adjusted to fully lock or unlock.
The welcome announcement has the link to the manual, Not sure whether locks are on Disc 1 or 2.
The test procedure is there as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.