Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

500 SEC rebuilt in Romania

11K views 70 replies 19 participants last post by  Oltean 
#1 ·
Hi, my name is Ciprian , I am from Romania and I live in Brad ,Transylvania.
I whach this forum for more then a year now, and I think is time to introduce myself.
I am 41 years old and I am a electrician.I had a few classic cars, and the last of them ,an Opel Kapiten 1963, I trade it for an Mercedes C126 500 SEC. The car was imported from France, and is not legal registrated in Romania becose we have craizy taxes( I have to pay as for a new Ferrari).
I intended to rebuild this car, as new. The car has de original V8 engine, wich is very rare in Romania cose of the taxes , and allmost everyone swap them ,installing 2.5 or 3.0 Diesel engine.In the last year I learn alot about this model, reading this forum and romanian forum dedicated to W126, improving as mecanic and my english.
First I post the pictures of the car as it was, and then the things I done. Please excuse my english

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
hiyas!!!

#7 ·
This is what I got from VIN decoder:
WDB1260441A067226

VEHICLE TYPE: Car
MODEL NAME: 500 SEC USA
ENGINE: 117963 12 049707
TRANSMISSION: 722311 02 499314
BODY: 01958
ORDER NUMBER: 0351323141
LIGHTS: BOSCH
INTERIOR COLOR: 958
PAINTS: 172 Anthrazitgrau

251 RADIO MB - EXQUISIT - USA

430 HEADREST IN THE REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT

480 SELF-LEVELLING SUSPENSION

531 AUTOMATIC ANTENNA

543 SUN VISOR WITH MAKE-UP MIRROR L. AND R., BE-

551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM

570 FOLDING ARMREST, FRONT

581 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONER

592 ALL-ROUND WD-GREEN GLASS,HEATED REAR WINDOW-VSG

611 EXIT LIGHTS FOR DRIVER DOORS

630 ECE - WARNING TRIANGLE

835 SOUTHERN KOREA-SUPPLEMENTARY PARTS

That nice set of wheel that is in the picture is only one Lorinser 16" , the rest of them are OZ racing 15", but with alot of chance,6 months ago, I got a set of 4 weels Lorinser 16" , J8 and J9.
Thanks to all.

Attachments

#10 ·
Actully, I got the car with some problems: electrical harness behind clauster all melted by a short, so nothing inside worked ( seats, lights,sunroof,electric mirror), the engine was never started in the last 6 years, some parts missing,the cloth interior in very bad chape.
I forgot to tell you that i am an ordinary guy,which means here in Romania I have no cash to spend on hobbys and plesures and all that I will post here is a DIY- job.

#12 ·
Ciprian,
Welcome to the board!! Don't worry about your english it's fine. It's far better than my Romanian which is none existent. This board is a wealth of information and great group of guys!!

Mike

Reactions: mramay
#15 ·
Like that steering wheel, and you will continue to get compliments on the LO's, one of the best non-amg wheels for the w126 in my opinion. Good thing you are an electrician, that behind the dash meltdown sounds like a mess. Keep us updated, welcome to the forum.

#16 ·
I did not liked that steerig wheel so I sell it and I got a wood Momo from 1985.
I spend 2 weekends to figure that mess in the dash but now is everything working( seats, sunroof, mirror, lights)
Yes, I have all de manuals for w126 . Thankyou mr. Green T ,you helped me a lot , I lear many things reading yours posts.

Attachments

#19 ·
After I finish with electric problems behind the dash, I try to refinish the wood trims. First I get riv of the old varnish, verry dificult, I worked about 3 hours each piece. Then I used varnish , four layers, one week to dry every layer, and now almost one year later I have to polish them.

Attachments

#20 ·
The seats are in velour grey, but are damaged , so I bought seats in leather, in this ocasion I get from the same guy ,a bonnet,bumpers US specifications with Lorinser aerodynamic kit,headlights, corners and a dash.

Attachments

#24 ·
Speaking of lucky and things I bought, 3 months ago I found for sale ,in Romania a 560 SEC from 1991, so I borrowed money and I got it. The car is legal registrated, has no engine and gearbox, but it has ASR, passenger airbag, cruise computer ( reiserechner- in german ) and black interior in leather. I was so happy ,and I bought also a sedan 560 SEL to swap the engine and gear box. That sedan has hydropneumatic suspension on 4 wheels orthopedic front seats and the back seat electrically adjustable. Now I have work to do for the next few years.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.