Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

WTB: 1989-1991 560SEC

3K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  bondavi 
#1 ·
Looking for an exceptional example. If you have one for sale or know of a very nice one please PM me.

Will pay good money for the right example. Regards, David

#2 ·
You JUST missed a good one 2 or 3 days ago in California

#4 ·
It was posted here on the forum, thought you'd seen it

#8 ·
Naturally, exceptional is subjective.

I see me owning an original no paintwork car with books and good records. I would like it to be in the top 10-15% of all the 560SEC's that have survived.

Once more am willing and able to obtain one.

Does that help?

#10 ·
Stay away from ASR equipped cars!

#20 ·
Yes!! Absolutely correct!

#11 ·
I have seen all these adds. 36k is a dealers wet dream. The one for 24k is sure nice and from Cali too, but not the colors I want. The one in Panama City is nice, but it is an 88 and I want a 89-91.

The others either have high miles ( for me) or have been in salted road areas.

Thanks for taking a look for me.

#12 ·
You should consider DBMB's Euro Code 822 coupe. The heads are off and he is redoing them and the chain, but it's a nice car and a true 300 HP engine. Very rare, and I know he's willing to deal.

#16 ·
Updated interior. Different seat skins (some say even better seat feeling), different door panel inserts, passenger airbag, different shifterwood (the wider shifter area makes it look more "modern").

1989+ SEC's also seem to sell for more than a similar spec'd/miles/condition pre-1989 models.

#17 ·
If I was on the hunt (with appropriate funds), I would look at the AMG's or even Widebodies that are available from Japan. Pick out a few possibilities, fly there and find a car that will appreciate in time. Most of the Japan cars I have seen are low mileage and look amazing. The year models you are looking for have a build date that meets the 25 yr. rule. Good luck with your search!

Reactions: ilovemyBenz
#21 · (Edited)
Japan!

"Garage Current in Japan" specifically has been known to sell mint, low mileage, unmolested full euro spec left hand drive cars.

Such as this '92 (yes, 1992!)

In Teal, with 68,700 kms:

’†ŒÃŽÔ�î•ñ ƒ�ƒ‹ƒZƒfƒXƒxƒ“ƒc SƒNƒ‰ƒX 560SEC(C126) - ƒKƒŒ�[ƒWƒJƒŒƒ“ƒg

and in white, only 16,100 kms.:

’†ŒÃŽÔ�î•ñ ƒ�ƒ‹ƒZƒfƒXƒxƒ“ƒc SƒNƒ‰ƒX 560SEC(C126)ŽÀ‘–�s1.6–œkm - ƒKƒŒ�[ƒWƒJƒŒƒ“ƒg

I believe they are in Yokohama.

4-52-16 Utsukushigaoka Aoba-ku Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

Here is their website in English

Antique, Collector, and Classic Cars for Sale | Garage Current Co., LTD.

Keep in mind that back in the 1980s and 1990s that even though Japan is a right hand drive nation, back then left hand drive prestige cars were especially coveted.

ƒ|ƒ‹ƒVƒF�Eƒxƒ“ƒc�EAMG‚̔̔„�E”ƒŽæ ƒKƒŒ�[ƒWƒJƒŒƒ“ƒg ƒIƒtƒBƒVƒƒƒ‹ƒz�[ƒ€ƒy�[ƒW has in the past been a source of wonderful euro spec 1989-1991 SEC automobiles.

#19 ·
I rather preferred the 88 because it has the luxurious glove box that closes like a piece of fine furniture, instead of the little change tray on the later model. And, the later tufted door cards don't seem an improvement to me. And, the 88 meets the 25 year test. That's why I questioned it. I thought perhaps the OP thought the 88 was Gen I.

#26 ·
I would send an email and let them know what your looking to buy. They could fill you in on the cost to get it to the USA and possibly what hurdles to expect. Just a few keystrokes as email is still free.

#30 ·
What is the predicate for seeking Japanese cars? The Japanese probably keep their cars nice, but how many left hand drive W126's could there be there? And, isn't everything in Japan the most expensive? My buddy, Jim says the cheeseburger and Heineken test yielded a score of 180 there last year. (Meaning that a room service order of two cheese burgers and two Heinekens was $180).

That doesn't sound promising.

#31 ·
Due to laws which make old car ownership very expensive , Japan actually auctions off a bunch of rare low mileage 126 benzes at great prices. And they are almost all Lhd

The whole "low mileage jdm engine" industry is fueled by Japanese cars being parted out at low mileage

#32 ·
Got the reply. I do not think they would mind me posting this:

Thank you for your contact.
Now we do not stock Mercedes 560SEC.
We find car with very rare models with good conditions.
It might take several month to find one.
If we stock one, I will e-mail you as soon as possible.
We are able to send cars to United State.
If you do have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you
best regards

Hiroshi Ikeda
GARAGE CURRENT Inc.
4-52-16 Utsukushigaoka Aoba-ku Yokohama-shi , Kanagawa-ken, JAPAN
e-mail: info@garagecurrent.co.jp
English site: Antique, Collector, and Classic Cars for Sale | Garage Current Co., LTD.
Japanese site:ƒ|ƒ‹ƒVƒF�Eƒxƒ“ƒc�EAMG‚̔̔„�E”ƒŽæ ƒKƒŒ�[ƒWƒJƒŒƒ“ƒg ƒIƒtƒBƒVƒƒƒ‹ƒz�[ƒ€ƒy�[ƒW
Phone#: 045-902-0008 or (81)45-902-0008
Fax#: 045-902-0009 or (81)45-902-0009

#33 ·
Personally, I don't see what is wrong with paying the $24,000 that some near perfect examples have gone for here in the US recently. For my part, I paid less than half of that for a pristine 52k black on black version and I barely shopped around. What is the problem that needs a container and customs solution?

#35 · (Edited)
Personally, I don't see what is wrong with paying the $24,000 that some near perfect examples have gone for here in the US recently. For my part, I paid less than half of that for a pristine 52k black on black version and I barely shopped around. What is the problem that needs a container and customs solution?

They are NOT mint unmolested Gen. II cars that are euro spec, in the USA. That's the problem.

It's even a problem in Europe now.

Here is absolute proof, as this one had 70,000 kims on the clock and was on the showroom floor of the Mercedes Benz museum in Stuttgart when I was there in summer of 2012:

The salesman Patrick was very friendly nd spoke excellent English.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.