Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W126 Trunk spoilers

33K views 73 replies 30 participants last post by  xlimodriver 
#1 ·
We all know the various spoilers floating around out there that were made over the years for the W126
The most elusive as i have come to find out after a long time searching is the AMG wing version as seen mostly on AMG WB conversions.
I was hoping to track one down for my black 560 WB conversion (once i get my shed built) but ended up out of luck.
One day i was parked down at a local auto shop and a Nissan R32 GTR pulled up next to me. It gave me a brainwave and i pulled out my tape measure and did some homework.

Ended up sourcing one and they are nice and light and very well made.

This is going to be another one of my home modshop projects and i think it will work!!
The spoiler follows the exact lines/slight curve of the W126 trunk and the width of the wing is spot on
I did a quick trial fit on my white 500 coupe (the black 560 trunk is covered up) - It will get some shaving/trimming etc to sit down snug on the lid but for a black WB coupe the wing seems appropriate for that aggressive look in 040 black

I do have a couple of the small AMG lip versions and a Zender version but they are more subdued.

Thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#17 ·
That's the one you use to push start the car :eek:

Reactions: GreenT
#9 ·

#10 · (Edited)
I like the shorter version better than the taller one, but partial to the AMG spoiler that I have (that's why I like it more). But, agree personal taste matters most as the owner.

Here is MClare's spoiler -- I have the same one.

Attachments

Reactions: wooky_chew_bacca
#13 ·
I already have two of those small AMG lip versions and a Zender wing and another AMG version that sits more over the back lid edge and curves over the top of the lid release button, so very undecided at this stage and just experimenting various options

OK here are some shots of the original AMG tall Version

Attachments

#14 ·
Lorinser's Version of the larger spoiler

Attachments

#15 ·
The R32 GTR version i am playing with
The curve on this matches the W126 trunk lid curve perfectly
The original AMG version has the same curve as per the above pics

Attachments

#21 ·
Desist, NOT lol, I stand corrected on it being the holder of drinks :thumbsup:

#22 ·
Widebody... one day, one day..

Hi Kim, go for it man. I think it will look awesome.

Will probably reduce the height by a quarter to make it more or less similar to the AMG on the wide body and may need to pull the footing on sideways on each side to meet the boot lid edge and mimic the more angled look on the AMG.

Do you plan to match the AMG look and feel (i.e. remove both of the current inner footings and replace with center third brake light)?

Let us know how you go.

#25 ·
Tusabes that one sanded back is not mine but a random pic. I have been trying to source one of these tall AMG ones for about 2yrs now without luck so they are extremely scarce and hard to come by.

I have got an AMG tall one in same shape designed for a 190E - shorter width and slightly narrower depth but notice being old made spoilers they are "unfortunately heavy"

The R32 GTR one is more modern technology and "nice and light" and these can be easily cut, re-shaped and worked with to make alterations including a middle replica leg perhaps (in fact i even spoke to a local spoiler shop who said they could do the alteration work for me if i did not want to tackle it.
At this point it is just an idea- hence asking for constructive feedback

My options for the black 560 coupe are
No Spoiler for the clean look
The small lip AMG version of which i already have two (i am thinking of using one on the white coupe)
The Zender wing with 4 posts designed for the W126 lid which i have one

I just think an 040 black WB suits the tall spoiler to give it a more aggressive look (just my opinion)

Attachments

#27 ·
Steve i haven't seen that version before so possibly a random aftermarket brand which actually looks like its made to fit the W126

In my searches there seems to be a real variety of aftermarket versions that have been bolted on
Here are some randoms i have kept pics of-

Attachments

#28 ·
Here is the AMG 190E specific spoiler i sourced thinking i could cut it up and modify it to fit a W126 but its old technology and is heavy.
Its is made of some type of plastic resign used in the 80's.
It is too short in width and cross section is not as deep as a W126 but the actual shape is identical

Attachments

#29 ·
The spoiler research on various options for the black 560 WB coupe continues-
As i was trying to explain earlier those R32 GTR spoilers are an identical match on the trunk curve and length - just need a bit of moulding/shaping to blend them in more to the lid.

Here are some more pics up against an AMG lip version 1 & 2 and a Zender and a different version of the R32 GTR that sits a bit lower in height (the smaller legs would be cut off) as another guinea pig to see if they are a suitable donor

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.