BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1989 MB 420SEL,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rearview mirror replacement/compatibility

I need to replace the rearview mirror and Ive been looking around. On EBay I found great prices on new ones for W124 and W201, but the numbers dont check for W126. On the other hand, some are listed for 124, 126 and 201. What could be so different between them (I keep on asking myself)? I did a search on the forum here, and came up empty handed.

So my question is: has anybody successfully replaced the rearview mirror with something else than 126? If so, what was it? I am open to pretty much anything, but I would prefer new (or not older than 10 years), below $50-60 and do not need whistles and bells like compass, autodimming or homelink unless they would happen to come free.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 560SL,380SL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Beware: W107 owners have discovered that the rear view mirror for our cars is NLA from Mercedes, which we found hard to believe, but it had been confirmed by a trustworthy member who called the Classic Center. So, who knows how long the W126 mirror will be available from MB new.

This is an item that I would not bother to install used (unless desperate). They all get cloudy, and if they aren't yet, they will be soon.

There is a member of this forum (2phast?) who modifies photochromic mirrors for the W126 mounting by taking apart old W126 mirrors and sells them, at reasonable prices, and many think highly of his work. It looks stock.

I installed a photochromic mirror (with compass, temp, and Homelink garage door opener) out of a Mazda with FAIRLY good aesthetic results, by using the modern "glued plate on the glass" mounting.

After discovering the W107's NLA status, I shopped around and found places that WILL replace glass in old auto mirrors with the correct, tapered safety glass so that the day/night feature works properly. This might cost $70-$100. So, do NOT throw out old, cloudy mirrors!

Homebrew MB First Gear Start!

http://juliepalooza.8m.com/sl/mercedes.htm

Last edited by strife2; 10-10-2013 at 05:19 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 1989 MB 420SEL,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
In my case the problem is not the mirror glass, is the actual housing: it broke and the flip bracket is now missing. Also around the glass the frame is cracked, part of it is falling off. I really need to replace the entire mirror, as an assembly.

I would like a new one, to keep me going for years w/o problems.

Thank you for advice, I will keep it in mind. I would like to go with a new one, just wondering if the mounting holes of the 124 would fit 126? 124 mirrors are still available new for 1/2 the price of a 126.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class