Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Gear shift surround wood panel help needed please!

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  farzand 
#1 ·
Introduction/car;

GenI 500SEL with a GenII 560 ECE engine and 722.323 trans.

Is the shifter position different between a genI and II / between an early 722 trans and a 722.323.

Just tried installing my new to me gear surround wood and i cant get it to slide into place as the shifter body hits the block of wood at the bottom front edge of the panel (shown in the first picture). This leaves a decent gap between the console and the bottom edge of the wood. Shown in second picture.

The piece that is sitting correctly at the bottom (the panel with no shine and vertical wood pattern) is kind of on top of the shifter at the top - notice the edge is just above the P. This piece is a standard MB wood panel with the block removed. Shown in the third picture.

To me it can only be incorrect shifter position or the bottom edge of the housing/console is further back than it needs to be and its been messed around with when being reupholstered.

Also while digging around in there trying to make things fit i found an electrical connector i had never noticed before. The car has/had no options that would have more switches on the gear surround panel. Could this be the E/S switch connector for the 722.323 ECE code transmission? Shown in fourth and fifth pictures.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
The problem with a genII panel is the switches. Even if i were to use genII switches the connectors would not fit at all and i dont know if cutting and soldering the wires would work either.

If someone had some or can take some measurements of the shifter housing i would be forever grateful.

Would need a simple width and length of the shifter box itself and a measurement of the top front edge of the box to any reference position on the dash would be great. Pretty simple with a measuring tape and if you have the wood off. A pain if you need to take all the wood off. Or you could take a measurement say from the top edge of the N to any reference on the dash. That should be fine too. Both from genI and genII would be great so i can figure this out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.