560 sel Stalling question - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Unhappy 560 sel Stalling question

I have a 1989 560sel and it started stalling. I changed the crankshaft positions sensor, the fuel pump and filter but the problem persist. Any suggestions will be appreciated. It is very embarrassing in traffic. Please, help.
garibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2013
Look at your tachometer. What does it idle at in park? (How many RPMs?)

And in drive with foot off accelerator?

Is the economy gauge needle all the way to the left on the white line in park and engine running?

Also good to check the battery/alternator as a basic check. What is the battery voltage with the car off?

Battery voltage with car running in park?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2013
Vehicle: 1986 420SEL - 1990 420SEL - 1985 500SEL parts car
Quote:
Is the economy gauge needle all the way to the left on the white line in park and engine running?

That thing sure is handy.

Also, vacuum leaks.

GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1973 450SE, 1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL
I believe your ignition switch can do this. You might try wiggling it while the car is running to see if you can duplicate the problem.
luckymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the information. I started the engine this morning and the economy gauge needle did not go all the way to the white line in park. It was a bit close but not exactly on it (white line) in both cases - park and drive with foot off accelerator. Any more suggestions?

Last edited by garibs; 04-13-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

No. It was a bit close to the white line but not exactly on it. Waht should I do next? I appreciate your help.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Do the other things mentioned in post 2 above.

You may have a vacuum leak. Check all the vacuum lines under the hood. I've not found any problems with the small hard plastic vacuum lines. But I have with the black rubber lines. They will be hard and not making a snug connection. Or will be loose. Or have cracks in them.

You can get all sorts of sizes of vacuum lines and "T" or "Y" fittings at the auto parts store.

Especially check the vacuum line going to the EZL unit which is near the driver's side headlight. Looks like this...

Billy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

I greatly appreciate this. May the good Lord richly bless you. I will let my mechanic know since we have been doing "trial and error" since the problem started. We were even contemplating on changing the part in picture but I will let him change the vacuum lines first. Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Thank you for the nice comments!

And only change vacuum lines which are in poor condition. Mercedes owners take pretty good care of their cars. Like on my car most of the vacuum lines had already been replaced and were in good condition. I did find a couple which needed replacing though.

I would not replace any parts unless you (or your mechanic) test them and then know they are bad. Many things can be tested to see if they are working or not.

Also a vacuum leak may or may not be the cause of the problem you are having, but best to check that out...
Billy_K is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class