BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2013
Vehicle: '91 350 SD, '06 S2R 1000, ’12 848 Evo Corse SE, '73 CB 350/4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Headlight Switch Replacement

My headlight switch is broke (requires some finesse to get the low beams to 'catch') and I have a replacement for it. I know it takes a little muscle to pull the knob off and that the switch is held to the bezel (black plate?) with a retaining nut behind the knob, but how do I remove the bezel? In pictures it looks like there are screw tabs on the back of the bezel. Please tell me I don't have to remove the dash!
Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1982 280 SE
No, you don`t have to remove the dash. Simply remove the carpeted panel underneath the dash, then remove the knob on the switch by yanking on it, then undo the nut, then push the switch out the back. It`s specifically wired and I`m not sure there`s a plug further back for said wires so you`re best marking the wires before you remove them, otherwise you`ll be up the sh*t.

My Mercedes is driving me around the benz..
#3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 560 SEL (1991)
Just make sure you get an OEM switch! Do NOT get a URO switch or any other brand. Trust me.

With that said, I found it easier to do with the cluster out. Never tried from below. Its not easy but not too hard to do. The plug is keyed, so not worry there. Its also HUGE. The connector is the same diameter as the very large switch assembly. So dont be confused when you look at things. To pull that switch knob off I used a soft rage and a pliers.

When you re-install, make sure you "twist" the switch into place. You will see small metal tabs. I bent my forward (I think) a bit to make sure the new switch bit into place tighter. The switch body is keyed, but can go in the wrong way (upside down).
#4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 11:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unity View Post
Just make sure you get an OEM switch! Do NOT get a URO switch or any other brand. Trust me.
Phew! I got the MB switch, not the URO! I must've had a few extra pennies in my account when i placed the order becuase i know autohausaz sells both, and the uro is half the price. And yes, I was quite surprised by its size when I unboxed it.
I appreciate the suggestions, mann and unity! I'm probably going to attempt the under-dash method tomorrow. There are really only two things I hate messing with on vehicles: dashes, and door panels!
#5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 03:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 1991 560 SEC *SOLD* 1987 560 SEC Parts car
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
dont break your neck, retract that steering wheel, and pull out the cluster. This way you do not have to tear cartilege in you back and ribs getting under the seat. face up. Search cluster removal here or on mercedessource.com under technical videos. it is very easy.

1991 560SEC 199 Black/268 Grey, 17" RS90'S, H&R springs, Bilstein HD shocks, Euro Headlights, Custom ceramic coated headers and down pipes with stainless dual exhaust, W140 glass sunroof, dog ear AMG trunk spoiler, OEM Skid Plate, Euro bumper; backside.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: '91 300SE, '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3p0ch View Post
My headlight switch is broke (requires some finesse to get the low beams to 'catch') and I have a replacement for it. I know it takes a little muscle to pull the knob off and that the switch is held to the bezel (black plate?) with a retaining nut behind the knob, but how do I remove the bezel? In pictures it looks like there are screw tabs on the back of the bezel. Please tell me I don't have to remove the dash!
Thanks in advance for any guidance!
I replaced mine last year, it'll take you a whole 10 minutes if it's a "plug n play", pull the cluster out, find the headlight assy cable and unplug, Rag with pliers to pull switch knob, undo the nut holding the switch, remove and install new switch in reverse order. no dash disassembly required except for pulling the cluster out of the way

IF you have the older switch (GenI) you'll have to swap out the wires one by one, you'll be able to tell by looking at the cable at the switch

My Stable:
'91 300SE
'98 Yota RAV4
'02 S-10 Truck
'72 SeaBird boat, overhaul on hold
#7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Finished!

Holy crap! I had no idea the headlight switch was supposed to be so crisp and, well, functional! I guess mine was a sloppy mess since I got the car...and the old switch sounds like a can of sand when I shake it. Obviously a bad thing. The new switch sounds like beautiful silence.
I ended up pulling the cluster with some homemade coat hanger pullers. I was fairly worried because my cluster was rather stubborn, not the easy pull described or shown in videos. But I got it to budge with a few healthy tugs. My switch connected with a simple (large!) plug, easy-skeezy.
The only problem I had was a split plastic shield on a power wire on the tach side of the cluster. When reinstalling, the metal connector slid forward of the shield and arced on the back of the cluster popping the fuze for the dome light. Some electrical tape on the shield and a new fuze in my number 2 slot and everything seems to be working, thank the maker! Next time I'm going to disco the battery first!
Thanks to everyone for the guidance and suggestions!
#8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Yup, I still have my trusty coat hanger pullers too, and that wire was the hot for the clock, had to tape mine too (OH, I forgot to mention the plug is/was an oversized one )

My Stable:
'91 300SE
'98 Yota RAV4
'02 S-10 Truck
#9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 12:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeesh, that's a lot of juice for a damn clock!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	502442  
#10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 12:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3p0ch View Post
Yeesh, that's a lot of juice for a damn clock!
Made ya jump too I'll bet (don't ask me how I know lol) 12V always hot from the battery.

And those "special tools" look just like mine

My Stable:
'91 300SE
'98 Yota RAV4
'02 S-10 Truck

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class