Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Who has all 4 original keys to their car?

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  281lxm 
#1 ·
Yes 4. When my mom bought the car she was given 4, 2 regular, a valet, and a reserve key. The only reason I found the valet and reserve is I was wonder if any spares had been made, needed a couple for grinding on for the new fobs but looks like I will be ordering a set.

Keychain Fashion accessory Everyday carry Key

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't think that the whole set is available these days or at least not from MB.
With your title or registration or bill of sale in hand the local dealer can order you one or more of the square keys that are normally used.
I purchased one last year for about $38 plus tax. The US & Canadian keys are all made in one place in the DFW area and it takes about three days on average.
Keep in mind that if you ever order a new ignition lock it will come keyed per the VIN key code and one key will be with it too or so my local dealer told me.
Good luck and please post your results as I am interested in this too.
jimm1009

#4 ·
Yes 4. When my mom bought the car she was given 4, 2 regular, a valet, and a reserve key. The only reason I found the valet and reserve is I was wonder if any spares had been made, needed a couple for grinding on for the new fobs but looks like I will be ordering a set.

View attachment 496935
cant beat that i have 3 keys a centre lock key, a alarm imobiliser, and an origanal masterkey still in sealed plastic pouch

#5 ·
I only have the one with the square top, and it worries me a little not to have a spare. I really should order a new one. I know it's been discussed but what do you need to do it? Title and license I assume, anything else? No plans tomorrow, no time like the present I guess.

#6 ·
Drivers license and registration of registered owner. If owner is not present you must have a notarized document saying you have permission to order a set of keys. You must also present all this when picking up the keys.

#9 ·
All I have are two reserve keys, one is an original, the other is a copy.

Those who recall my Key debacle thread, that was never resolved. My uncle in Germany has checked everything, including any building/shipping manifests that MB has over there, and they can't locate my car.

So, technically, my car was never made.

#15 ·
keys

I have 3 keys = door key central locking, 1 master key in upopened plastic pouch , and a imobiliser prevents the car from being started dont know if this was standard Key or an add on, its comulsery to have them fitted in Western Australia on older vehicles, i am missing a glove box key

#13 ·
I would hope in your case they would allow you to send one of your keys to allow it to be copied. There has to be a way to have a couple of key made. I mean if its a verified vin by the dealer there has to be something that can be done.

#14 ·
They suggested taking the glove box lock to reverse engineer it, but I was told that wouldn't work.

While the VIN is a genuine VIN, there are NO records of the car. At any dealer. Like I said, even MB in Stuttgart has no record of this car. The oldest records I do have, is the official import document from Lebanon.

#16 ·
this is interesting.. i always thought our cars came w/ only 2 keys. master and valet. interesting, when i bought mine from da original owner he only gave me one key so I went to the dealer and got a copy by VIN# for a lil over $20. but neither of them work for the glove box or trunk.. just doors and ignition. i wonder y?

#17 ·
this is interesting.. i always thought our cars came w/ only 2 keys. master and valet. interesting, when i bought mine from da original owner he only gave me one key so I went to the dealer and got a copy by VIN# for a lil over $20. but neither of them work for the glove box or trunk.. just doors and ignition. i wonder y?[/QUOTE

per 1985 owners manual
Main key= square headed fits all locks on the vehicle
Secondary key=rounded head fits only door locks and steering lock
Flat key -fits all vehicle locks to be carried in wallet never in car

could be those locks have been changed if you have the main key

#20 ·
I don't know how many owners there were, I know of 3, including me, and it came with the flat key in a pouch, valet (never used), and 3 square heads. I got an extra key made along with one that came with a new ignition lock I bought. The original 3 being worn down and having to wiggle them a bit to work sometimes

Here is another topic along these lines, who still has the original window sticker and/or paperwork showing the original buyer ? I have both, it was bought by a doctors office in Tampa

#21 ·
I do and its got my mothers name on it. Haha She pack ratted everything from this car. So has gotten wet since a few items where in the trunk under the antenna hole and well over the years the top rubber piece is gone.

#22 ·
AH, cool, I found all of mine in the zippered leather MB owners manual case in the rear deck, I look for another when visiting pull a parts but ALAS, a seemingly RARE find I have the first aid kit but it needs stuff replaced

#24 ·
my first aid kit is still in tact, wrapped in original celophane...the stuff inside, not the whole box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.