BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 1988 560SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ethanol in gasoline & its effects on OUR cars

Ethanol in gasoline & its effects on collector cars ...
I've searched the Forums extensively today, using "W126", "Ethanol", "Fuel" & found only a thread from 2008. The link below/attached is from Hemmings TODAY, & I suggest WE begin to prepare for the inevitable. I'm starting to gather Any & All info today, for use WHEN I've gathered sufficient tech to CONVERT my '88 560SEL BEFORE Mandated (Higher Ratio Blend) Fuels hit me from the Blindside.
We have the mandatory E-10 Blend here in Colorado during part of the year & I NEVER Stray from from 91 Octane Premium, but longevity is paramount with me; 318,000 miles & counting ... IF ANYONE has the OFFICIAL Benz-AG (Germany) info on this, please advise by reply to this post so everyone can be on the same page.
Tech 101: Ethanol in gasoline and its effects on collector cars | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: '84 500 SEL 904
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
In rural areas there are often ethanol free gas stations... at least there were a few years ago when I was in college in rural IL.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
#3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1982 300CD
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Get an SD..

..or an SDL...problem solved!

Just say no to sparkplugs[SIGPIC]
#4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 05:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: '73 450SL, '83 300CD, '88 300SE
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you look in the owners manual (or a supplement that came with the car, I forget which) you'll notice that in the list of acceptable fuels, it states that 10% 'gasohol' is ok. Gasohol was as term used to describe ethanol blended gasoline years ago.

So technically, MB says it's ok to use it.

I try to avoid it, just on principal. I want as close to 100% gasoline in my car as possible. There is a measurable negative change in fuel economy when using ethanol blended fuel.

The other thing is, alcohol absorbs water (that's what dry gas is) and water is the enemy of any fuel system.

Also, when sitting, the alcohol/water mixture will sink to the bottom of the tank. So if you have a car that you seldom drive, and it has a mixture of nasty stuff in it, it'll tend to sink to the bottom of the tank, which is where the fuel is picked up... not really good.

Think about it.. if it's a 10% blend, that would amount to 2 gallons of alcohol in 20 gallons of fuel.

-Aaron
ASE Master tech, specializing in electronics and driveability.
Certified Diesel Master tech.
EPA 609 certified

1973 450SL - 191K - Summer Toy
1978 300D - 267K
1978 300CD - drove to death
1981 300D - drove to death
1983 300CD -170K
1989 300SE 105K miles..
1981 Coupe DeVille.. just because.
... and many more past and present...

Because Safety is not a luxury. Mercedes-Benz. Engineered like no other car in the world.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: '87 190E 2.3 Running MegaSquirt 2 Extra
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akimball442 View Post
If you look in the owners manual (or a supplement that came with the car, I forget which) you'll notice that in the list of acceptable fuels, it states that 10% 'gasohol' is ok. Gasohol was as term used to describe ethanol blended gasoline years ago.

So technically, MB says it's ok to use it.

I try to avoid it, just on principal. I want as close to 100% gasoline in my car as possible. There is a measurable negative change in fuel economy when using ethanol blended fuel.

The other thing is, alcohol absorbs water (that's what dry gas is) and water is the enemy of any fuel system.

Also, when sitting, the alcohol/water mixture will sink to the bottom of the tank. So if you have a car that you seldom drive, and it has a mixture of nasty stuff in it, it'll tend to sink to the bottom of the tank, which is where the fuel is picked up... not really good.

Think about it.. if it's a 10% blend, that would amount to 2 gallons of alcohol in 20 gallons of fuel.
Yeah, not thrilled about those figures. Unfortunately, the higher-ups (and eco-weenies) in this country assume everyone can buy a new car that'll work with whatever percentage they throw at us next. I personally think E0 gasoline (or just gas-o-frickin'-line) should be available for purchase from all gas stations, but it's not economically feasible for gas stations to have that many tanks. Ridiculous.

W201 Euro + NAM Headlight Diagram. - Detailed OVP Information. Click only on OVP_Info.pdf. - W201 Differential Ratios
--- Mercedes Timing Chain Crimper (Single/Double Row) Tool for Rent. PM me for details. ---
#6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6, bought 07/08 with 50k original miles.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I think the blend is the CA mandated summer fuel.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
In Canada we have been adding alcohol in fuel for yrs, it burns a little dryer as I understand. But premium gas has no ethanol in it. our premium is 91%
#8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via Skype™ to Greeney
We in the UK have a number of neutralising additives on the market now.
There has been a campaign by the FBHVC FBHVC due to the problems it causes older vehicles.
One of which is a US product made by Lucas Oil products (Product not problem)

Dr Nicholas Greene
www.126SclassClub.com
www.oldfrenchcars.com

Pompadour, FRANCE
Kent, UK

Last edited by Greeney; 11-15-2012 at 10:05 AM.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 11:49 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 1989 300CE
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by granit560 View Post
In Canada we have been adding alcohol in fuel for yrs, it burns a little dryer as I understand. But premium gas has no ethanol in it. our premium is 91%

Only our shell V power has no ethanol in it. Every other gas station has ethanol including petro 94.

89 300CE - Daily driver

The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive - Sir William Lyons
#10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560 SEC (Euro)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When Finland moved to mandatory 10% ethanol blended 95 octane Mercedes-Benz released info that all cars older than 1990 were incompatible. This is still their position.

We still get 5% blended 98 octane but no consumer automotive 0% blends.

Since I live on the border, I go to Russia for fuel, where gasoline is still the "real deal" with no additives, ethanol or other capitalist crap. I've measured about 5-10 % better fuel mileage compared to European fuel and I get it for 0.85 e/ltr as opposed to 1.6 e/ltr to boot.

I would not use a 10% ethanol blend in a W126.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.