Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear bottom out.

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JamesDean 
#1 ·
I just couldn't understand why my parent 300se rear end is way too low compare it to the front. I replace all the shocks today and the rear still low. Is this related to spring in the back? If so, should I just buy a new spring or just use "spring shim" from auto parts store? Thanks.

#3 ·
Most likely it's the rear subframe bushings and differential mount/bushing. Could also be the spring perches are collapsed. The springs themselves rarely lose that much over time, and it's usually some combination of the rubber parts. Not too difficult to replace any of these, but get genuine MB parts for anything that is made of rubber.

#5 ·
It could also be aged tired springs and spring pads.

The top of the spring is capped with a rubber shim pad that had little nubs on it to indicate thickness. Overtime these rubber pads get compressed. I replaced the rear springs on my 420SEL and installed 'three nub' spring pad. My 300SD has the same configuration.

A few people have recommended using the three nub ones as the give the rear end sufficient height.

You could also do the opposite on the front, install a lower nub pad to lower the front end a little bit.

Before you do anything with this stuff, I'd recommend checking the differential mount first.

#11 ·
Not sure there's a spec , there are all different grades of spring and shims, so presumably you can have it as you like it. The height of some of them on the front though, its bizarre, surely they can't have been like that when new. Fairly high maybe, but not 4x4 stylee. When I first had my SE it looked a bit like the engine had been taken out!
I wonder if maybe the springs unwind a bit with time. Unlikely I know bit its all I can think of.
The rears often sag but the front seems to go higher.

#12 · (Edited)
I found this in the 126 FSM:

Seems like they apply a point system and select rubber pads based on that..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.