Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1987 MERCEDES SDL

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  MIKENORWAY 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have bought this 1987 Mercedes-Benz SDL 3L Turbodiesel, imported from Florida, 160.000km, garaged, looks great. Any thought? Any advice?
Here is the link.
P.S: I was ready to buy an 1992 W140 3.2L gasoline, but here is my point:
I was checking over and over again here at BenzWorld and to me, it looks like the W140 from that period has had too many problems (wire, headgasket, etc) and the maintenance costs are much higher than the SDL which is basically a great engine and not that much electronic as the W140. I know the W140 it is a more diplomatic look, double glassed, and technically more advanced, but to me the SDL represents the answer. I am a brand new into the Mercedes world. I hope my choice is a good one. Thank you for any input and advice and to all of you, a great weekend!! CHECK OUT THE LINK TO MY SDL, THERE ARE A LOT OF PICS THERE. THANKS ;-)
Mercedes-Benz S-Klasse 300 SDL Turbo 1987, 160 000 km, kr 99 585,-

#2 ·
Your '87 300SDL is one of the finest cars ever built.

That these are available so inexpensively is incredible. If yours has been well maintained, then you can expect a very long service life in a safe, comfortable, capable, reliable and economical car.

Change all fluids- Brake, transmission (w/ filter), coolant, power steering and differential and of course oil. Closely examine the flex discs on the drive shaft. Change all the fuses and both fuel filters.

Your engine will need all new glow plugs soon- they are generally good for 100k miles. This will require removal of the intake manifold.

Also, make sure your cooling system is in perfect operating order. If you have the original radiator, you may want to at the least inspect the top hose connection while changing coolant. Look for cracking in the plastic. If none is found, check the id of this connection- feel for a metal reinforcing piece. If none is found, source a piece of copper tubing or such that will fit closely to this opening and epoxy in place. You can find detailed information on that on the web. It will save the day for you when eventually this hose connection on the radiator breaks off. This is important, as your engine is very sensitive to overheating. Running for as little as 60 seconds in an overheated condition will crack the head on this engine. New belt and coolant hoses are a must.

The OM603.96 engine in your car will easily give you 300-400k miles of service. If you keep the car from rusting it will do just fine as well. Good luck with it- Florida can be a source of some very nice condition MB's!

#3 ·
THANK YOU FOR THE ADVICE AND THOUGHTS REGARDING MY 1987 SDL.

Hi Chief.
Thank you very much for advice. Considering the fact that I have to drive it from the place where I bought it in Norway for over 1200 km, (called Bodø),I'll make sure that all these things are checked. I have to drive it for about 16 hours. I never drove a Mercedes before. Especially this long wheel base,... I think it will be a pleasure and will have a great ride back to Oslo. When we'll stop, each timeI'll check on the radiator, cooling fluid level, etc etc. I feel that I will love this car so much. Anyone knows if possible to add some pics with the car, in case that the link to it doesn't open?
Link again: Mercedes-Benz S-Klasse 300 SDL Turbo 1987, 160 000 km, kr 99 585,-
In these pics you can easily see how new and well maintained it is this beautiful `87 SDL.
Cheers Mike,
Oslo, Norway.

#4 ·
Just give it a good general inspection- Fluid levels, hose and belt integrity, tire pressure, etc. You won't have any problems. This car will be a real pleasure to drive! The roads and scenery in Norway will never have looked so good!

Just be prepared- there is no cup holder!

#5 ·
Thaaaaaanks!! Yes , about the cup holders I know, same ,,problem'' on W140. To me it is not a serious issue. But what I really like is the handbrake which is a ,,foot handbrake''. Always I hated that at the other cars. That space between the front seats can be used smarter- in an MB. :)

#6 ·
I just looked at your photographs, and there IS something you will want to address once you are home.

Under the hood on your car, on the passenger side of the engine is a big, balloon-like object. This is a trap-oxidizer, installed to meet US emissions requirements. It was soon found that this was the cause of many premature engine failures, and was removed by MB from US cars. I assume your car was shipped to Europe before this was done. COnsult your own emmissions laws, but I would research removing this device as soon as possible. You will be fine on your trip home, but find out what you need to do to get rid of this device.

#8 ·
Best of luck with your new Merc- It looks like a very nice one!

Would enjoy seeing Norway someday. We had an exchange student from Alesund with us for a year recently. Her photos of Norway were beautiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.