Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rebuilding my starter?

738 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  w126Sam 
#1 · (Edited)
So has anybody rebuilt one of our starters before? Basically I just need to know if I'll need anything more than the 4 brushes and 3 bushings assuming the solenoid and drive are good. If anyone could point me in a direction as to where to get them, that would be great too. If not, I'm assuming Bosch will have them.

Edit: And that's assuming the solenoid is good, but I will test it before I place my order.

#2 ·
If you are going to replace the motor brushes, I would absolutely replace the solenoid and starter drive too. You already have it out, and they have as much use on them as the motor does. It would be disappointing to say the least if you put it back in the car, and a month later the drive fails!

I have a spare starter for my 350SD, and over the next month or two I plan to do just this to mine.

#3 ·
I had mine rebuilt here:

Dort Starter & Alternator - Mount Morris, MI, 48458 - Citysearch

It was quite a few years ago but less then 10 years ago. If I remember correctly, it was a bit over $100. The place is not much to look at. The guy who does the work has been doing it for the last 100 years or so it seems. Back when he did the work for me, the porsche dealership was sending him their work. If you end up needing some place to send it out to, it is at least worth giving them a call.

#4 ·
Thanks Michael, and Chief you definitely make a good point. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I can get to mine, so let me know if you come across a good retailer for the parts. I noticed parts.com has everything, but it seems pricier than it should be. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.