Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Is it TABOO to....

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mclare 
#1 ·
Is it TABOO to buy AMG OZ Aero II multipiece wheels for a 87 560sel, that you are turning into a AMG. Of course, my dream would to own AMG OZ 3 piece's, but maybe these are a good supliment??? If there are any REASONABLE Oz AMG rims for sale, please contact me because I am getting tired of those OEM "roundies"

Opinions Please, I am sure that spacers would be needed to run these on my 560sel. Also, are there any pics of w126s runnin AMG OZ AERO IIs

Thanks, and look forward to opinions:thumbsup:

Der Bomber (David)

Here is the link to the ad:
AMG Aero II 18x8.5+44 5 x 112

#2 ·
Those do look cool--but they won't fit without some BIG spacers because of the high offset.

I think you should do whatever your taste/interests/pocketbook tells you to do. Some folks might balk at doing anything not "stock" or would turn up their nose at an AMG car that was "assembled" from parts rather than at Affalterbach. Whatever-- it's YOUR car.

Finding the parts is half the fun for me-- I keep dreaming-- there's a guy who just landed a $300 set of AMG 3-piece wheels (a thread from yesterday, I believe). Lucky b*stard... but congratulations to him for finding the treasure!!

I just hope I'm gonna win the lottery someday!!

#3 ·
I personally like them, but like Dave said, they will require some pretty big spacers, and I was always told big spacers are a no-no, though I know they're common...Plus a 17 inch staggered setup would look much better. Your patience will pay off, and when you do finally get the exact wheels you want, you will be very glad you waited.

If you really want to modify the wheels now, go pick up a couple cans of spray paint and spray them to match your car, or a nice silver. Properly prepared, wheels can look completely professionally done with spray paint. And for $20 you'll have something that ought to tide you over for awhile. Check out my dopey old bundts. The PO sprayed them, and not even very well, but they are some of the finest looking bundts I've seen. I've gotten several positive comments about how they look brand new.

Attachments

#4 ·
Why would anything be taboo? I just don't understand the purist mentality. But, those look really nice. What kind of two piece are these though? Is it lip+barrel and face?

These wheels look spectacular, maybe new barrels or lip might make the offset a little lower and more manageable.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, I really do appreciate YOUR input:thumbsup:
After a few months of MORE :rolleyes: of wheel research, I have found this website, and they have a HUGE selection of tasteful wheels for us "euro guys":cool: The name of the website es Tuner Shop

Here, imo, is one of the nicest wheels for the 126, the BORBET TYPE A. These wheels have been NLA for many years, but here on Tuner Shop, they are now available once again, AND IN 126 5X112 dimensions. If one member would be kind enough to tell me what dimension front/back would be ideal for a 560sel, I would really appreciate it. Also, has anyone here used Tuner Shop??? Ohh, and what tire would you guys recommend to go with. You can see the tires on the link:thumbsup:

Here is the link to the 16in BORBET TYPE A Wheels:
Tunershop - Wheels - 16 inches - BORBET A - tuning - german wheels and tires - spacers - coilovers

Once again, I thank everyone here for their 3 cents:eek:
Der Bomber (David):thumbsup:

#6 ·
Tunershop is well known here as they supply the replacement barrels for our OZ wheels.

You could actually re-barrel those monoblocks in that ad to not take spacers, in theory.

Henric re-barreled his to 12's.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info!
BORBET TYPE A
16 16x7.5 et20 OR 16x9 et15
WHAT IS THE BETTER CHOICE FOR A 560sel???
Thanks again
Der Bomber

#8 ·
Borbets

Borbet wheels are very good wheels.

I had Type E Borbet's put on my wife's black 1991 Volvo 740 for about 9-10 years when we lived in San Francisco.

No problems with them, and they looked good and cleaned up easily and often.

#9 ·
Borbet wheels are very good wheels.

I had Type E Borbet's put on my wife's black 1991 Volvo 740 for about 9-10 years when we lived in San Francisco.

No problems with them, and they looked good and cleaned up easily and often.
Thanks C. for the input!
With my budget, I would have to find a set of AMG OZ rims for under 1G, and then have them restored, PLUS TIRES. OUCH!!!!

So, I will most likely be going with BORBET TYPE A rims off of Tuner Shop.

Now all I need to do is know what choice is better for a 560sel
16x7.5 et20 OR 16x9 et15

#11 · (Edited)
The Tire Rack alternative may be worth a look.

I did this once (being on a tight budget). Bought ASA wheels (they are a BBS subsidiary) from Tire Rack online, at a discount price, and had them drop shipped by UPS to my favorite tire store here in town, though of course, with the usual charges for mounting, balancing, valve stem and other typical fees applied.

It worked out well, though I well knew these were ONLY to be temporary until the AMG Penta wheels finally came along - that had always been what I truly wanted.

So for an interim solution why not consider a set of 18" staggered OZ Super Leggera III wheels from Tire Rack.

You can go to their website and click on the silhouette of your car and rthen click these wheels to see exactly what your could look like iwth a set of them on it.

Tire Rack is also a supporter and advertiser here, (I think) and they would appreciate the business.

#13 ·
Once again, I would like to give a HUGE THANKS for all of the responses. The W126 community here is just so aawesome, its hard to describe:thumbsup:

I believe that my 560sel restoration will be completed in 8-10 years. This is mostly due to college loans and "BS" like that.

My biggest problem is the fact that I dont like to mount NOS and AMG pieces to my 560 because my car sits out and is not garaged. IF I mounted my small collection of rare pre merger stuff know and my NOS stuff, the parts would wear out/get damaged/or stolen. That is why I am going to wait years, for that one "glorious" day when all of my parts are mounted!:)

So to cut to the chase: I think like Cascade said, going with a intermediate set of wheels maybe the best solution. Sure, I am obsessed with my 126s look NOW. I spend time polishing with the Porter Cable, I detail the motor, clean the carpets, lube the leather, etc... So I think that a nice new set of BORBET TYPE As woudld be a nice "shot of burban to settle the hand".

However, I do know what its like to have AMG rims, and there is nothing like it in the car world. I ordered a set of GEN 2 AMG MARKED pentas off of ebay for 1300, and I was riding a high that Rick Perry couldn't even fathom.

But, once I hit the tire store with my "children", I was soon told the heartbreaking news that the wheels where EXTREMELY OUT OF ROUND. I almost had a panic attack, and did not believe the man. Then, I drove 30 miles to 2 wheel restoration shops, and both had said the wheels where NOT REPAIRABLE. I being a type who wants to save every car at the wrecking yard, telling my friends "that caddie cost 34K in 92", told the store owners MONEY DIDN"T MATTER, and they still said, THEY ARE NOT REPAIRABLE. So, after weeks of Paypall BS, I got a refund minus 130 shipping:(

So Gentlemen, as soon as I get my Borbets/Tires, I will post pics. I will also post pics of my 560!

Thanks again for the support. I figure within the next 4 months I'll buy the Borbets, so if anything does pop up, please please let me know

Thanks a million
David

Thanks again everyone for your input and support

#14 ·
I wish you the best of luck with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.