Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

15,000Mile 560SEC on eBay for $40K! Pics

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  ianrandom 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I hope I'm not the only one who is very leary about this SEC. I have seen 10-15K mile cars before from the 70s/80s, and this Mercedes has tens of thousands of miles more than the "15K" miles. I respectfully and humbly suspect this car has tens of thousands of miles more than the 15K.

1st. The floor mats/carpets in this car are super faded and not 15K miles new! I have seen 126s with 145K miles on them, and the carpets/mats look 10X NEWER

2nd. Being a BIG fan of the burlwood, I know that this cars wood has been "pieced together", meaning that the pieces of wood have come out of other garaged 126s with dark wood, and where installed. Isn't it a coincidence that the gear shifter wood, being one of the most expensive to replace/refurbish, is the most faded and abused in this 15K mile SEC. Also, both the gauge needles and red seat belt snaps are slightly faded, but NOT 15K mile faded

3rd. I know how hard it is to have the OEM wheels looking THAT good. I highly doubt a person who even cleans the valve stems, making them look "new", does not keep the motor moderately clean. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

4th. MY BIGGEST CONCERN: The motor of this vehicle looks as if it had 150-200K miles of wear. Sure, the motor still has decals on it, but my god, it looks as if someone poured grease and oil on top of this "15K mile car" I know that there are several Benzworlders here who will agree with me that this not even broke in motor looks as if it has been riped a new one:eek:

Lastly, please be aware of my intentions in regards to this post. I actually care about other members here, and dont want anyone to get burned, because after all, we aren't talking about a few grand. I did not write this to act like a dick or a know it all, just wanted to point out my concerns:)

Walk Lightly,
Der Bomber

#6 ·
Coolant reservoir tank.

It comes white from factory. 15k mile will never make it like how it looks in this car.
When i changed mine recently with 150k mile, tank has that color and my engine surely looks newer then that except hood pad :-(

#9 ·
That SEC is very difficult to value. I agree with all the comments above - the engine is a disaster for "15k" miles, the car has sat outside for a substantial amount of time to fade/crack the center console burl, to fade the needles and to fade the red seat belt receptors. The seat cushions, on the other hand, look near new. Just doesn't add up. If the mileage proves out via registrations and service records, explaining the engine appearance and seeing just how crispy the interior is would be a priority. Plus, it's an 86 - not high on the SEC value scale. Figure on a complete front suspension rebuild, full TC guides and tensioner, wood refinish, new tires = at least $6k of work to get the car roadworthy and looking like a 15k mile car.

Al

#12 ·
It is if it is a Euro 500 SEC!!! in the US, not very many were self imported. Rose is a 1986 Euro 500SEC.
MB in their infinite wisdom(?) chose not to impede the "New" 560 sales and did not import the 500SEC after 1985 MY.

#13 ·
Let me re-phrase - all SEC's are great cars! But, in the scheme of Gen II SEC's, the 89-91 facelift cars in the US are more desirable - leather on door panels, different seat leather style, center console roll top standard, etc.. The 86-88 years are a notch below, IMO.

Al

#15 ·
As regards the entire model line, so long as they come without the ASR, or ASD and are not with the 3.5 Diesel engine, I would agree with that.

#16 ·
I prefer the Gen I's. That said, Rose is just close enough to a Gen I to be acceptable to me, and the point that there aren't many of her ilk in Ca or the US, makes her even better. All her components are of the same as the "New" 560, with the 500 engine sharing all the parts except the Crank and the rods of the 560. Granted she does not have Leather in the door cards, but none did till the 89-91 models. Mariah and Sylvia were both 89 models, except that Sylvia was an SEL and both had Leather staked door cards.

All of them are great cars with their own characteristics and lovely appointments. And Quirks!

Fun Having both a Euro Gen I and A Euro Gen II(barely, First 6 Mo. of production).

#17 ·
Ah yes, the interior update, forgot about that. Don't know how the coupe seats compare before and after the '89 update, but when I swapped my saloon interior from '86 to '89 it was like night and day, so much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.