Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2 minute idle problem on cold start

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AfricaXJ6 
#1 ·
Hi all,

when i start my 380 SEC on a cold start; it keeps idle and starts well. but when i put in drive and try to drive it it, the engine cuts out. lt will only start after waiting for about 2 minutes. therafter it goes well. when it is warmed up, no problems. duing the 2 minute wait; if i do try to start it; the engine just swings without firing. I checked the cold start valve and it works.

your suggestions will be welcome.

thanks
c

#3 ·
Wish I could offer more suggestion, but fuel pump relays do seem to work kind of intermittently like that. If you do a google search for "car dies when put in drive" there are loads of different things to check. A vacuum leak was mentioned in many of the posts I read.

#5 ·
I had a similar problem on my 560 SEL, it wasn't too bad; I always figured that it was a vacuum leak. When I went to replace some of the vacuum lines I realized that I was just going to break the plastic fittings around it. So, I learned to live with it, either by letting the car warm up before driving it, or just hoping it didn't die in traffic.
If you think it might be a vacuum leak, I would suggest using some carb cleaner to determine where it is leaking. When the engine is running, spray carb cleaner in various places to see if it surges. When it does surge, there's your leak.

#6 ·
thanks all,

to stealth hunter V12, it stalls when i put in gear . soemtimes it runs rough and stalls at the next stop street or traffic light.

surely the 2 minute interval has soemthing to do with the problem. after the 2 minute interval it starts and idles ok.

thanks
C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.