Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Can you bypass the fuel cooler?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Alleskovar 
#1 ·
I have a 1988 300SE. I love the car, but at this age its one little thing after another. Now the Fuel smell I have been hunting is the line from the Fuel Pressure Regulator to the fuel cooler unit. Its leaking at the cooler unit. The rubber hose is shot. It however, is no longer available for sale even through aftermarket parts houses. Sooooo.....
I was wondering if there would be any noticeable difference in performance or fuel mileage or any negative side effects of just bypassing the cooler. Time to get Crafty.

#3 ·
I bypassed the fuel cooler.......

The hose going to another hose that feeds the fuel into the cooler disconnects from the main line, is a bit of a stretch but connects to the pressure regulator just fine for temp use. I am taking the advice from above and have removed the broke line and am now running to different shops to find someone who can make one for me. I understand the fuel cooling is an additional standard feature that mercedes has added to give us optimal performance. I appreciate that and will be properly fixing it. Just wanted to know about a temporary bypass so that I could use the car in the meantime. This is my DAILY DRIVER!

#4 ·
Lines replaced....Now leaking again

Do not use hydraulic fluid lines for this application. It will deteriorate quickly, depending in what other additives are in the fuel. Mine began leaking again after 2 days. Back to the bypass, and to look for real fuel lines....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.