BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 300SE 1991, Mercedes-Benz 300D 1987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Workshop/Repair Manual for W126 300SE

I'm sure this has been raised previously, but what the hell!

I have looked high and low for a repair manual for my 1991 W126 300SE. I have the CD-ROM with the PDF manuals, which is certainly handy, but nothing beats a paperback copy to have with you in the car. I can find ones for W124 and pretty much all others on ebay and other places, just not this classic.

Anyone had any luck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 1989 300SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksabbath View Post
I'm sure this has been raised previously, but what the hell!

I have looked high and low for a repair manual for my 1991 W126 300SE. I have the CD-ROM with the PDF manuals, which is certainly handy, but nothing beats a paperback copy to have with you in the car. I can find ones for W124 and pretty much all others on ebay and other places, just not this classic.

Anyone had any luck?
I haven't had any luck. Hell, I can't even find the pdf version you have. I'm thinking of joining ALLDATA monthly so I can get some information. I need to do rear wheel bearings. Let me know if you have any luck.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1983 380SEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyFan View Post
I haven't had any luck. Hell, I can't even find the pdf version you have. I'm thinking of joining ALLDATA monthly so I can get some information. I need to do rear wheel bearings. Let me know if you have any luck.
There are at least two different "official" Mercedes Benz versions covering the W126 models. I purchased both versions through ebay.

I purchased the MB North America two CD PDF version. I paid around $13. This PDF version is easy to use after learning how to navigate the menus. I print out the pages I need and put them into a binder.

There is also a single CD "software" version from MB Germany. I paid around $30. This version is comprehensive, covering most MB models going back many years. One must input the VIN in order to use this version. This MB software version is not really user friendly for a geezer like me. Help!

There are also "aftermarket" manuals found on ebay. I purchased a two CD aftermarket MB set labeled 1983-2000. The first disc is the installer and the the second disc is the manual itself. I carefully followed the installation instructions provided but I haven't been able to get this manual to work on my Windows 7 computer (the computer reports "incompatible") nor does it work on one of my Windows XP MCE2005 computers, so I have no idea how useful this $10 set might be.

The first photo is a screenshot of the MB North America PDF version. The second photo is a screenshot of the MB German software version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MB NORTH AMERICA PDF SCREENSHOT.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	385379   Click image for larger version

Name:	MB GERMAN SOFTWARE SCREENSHOT.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	385380  

A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance.

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)

Last edited by TalkieTime; 07-08-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: adding screenshots
#4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1981 300SD Biodiesel
The books, which are the original from which the CD's were made, are out there. Just have to hunt around a bit. I have them both. Books are worth the investment though the same content is on the CD's. I got lucky and got 6 books for $60 on CL.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 09:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 91 560SEC AMG w/300HP Custom Built Motor; 90 560SEL Stock
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mclare Send a message via Skype™ to mclare
Pm me yor email address and I will point you to them.

Also, the books have more content than the CD's do.

Current Stable:
91-560 SEC AMG - Coupe - 199/261 - 300 HP Custom Built Motor - Highly Modified Coupe
90-560 SEL - Sedan - 199/261 - Stock

#6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 04:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: '84 500 SEL 904
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I really wanted the paper manuals too. For the engine and chassis manuals i've seen them as high as $150usd. There are also, i believe, an electrical and transmission manual. so I think there's at least 4 in total. You'd be lucky to get all of them for under $200 bucks from what I've seen.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

There are five volumes:

Body and Chassis
Engine
Electrical Troubleshooting manual
Air conditioning & heating
Transmission

There's also a parts pocket guide that lists all parts in the car. But technically it's not a 'service' manual because it's an 'owners' manual. I have one of these too and they are handy for locating parts without taking the whole big BnC manual out. It also matches EPC perfectly too.

I have all five in paper and there are many items and procedures in the paper manuals that are not in the electronic versions. For instance, there is a complete explanation of how Mercedes lays out their wiring. It's very informative, but not included in the disks.

Still, the disk versions are worthy of having once you learn where everything is. I have converted them to iBooks format and carry a set bonth on my iPhone and iPad, though they are illegible on the iPhone.

You can find a set on eBay every now and then.

Good luck and welcome. Pm me if you want the electronic versions. Also, that program you showed the screen cap of is for crap. Get EPC, much better and you are tied directly into StarNet.

Current Stable:
91-560 SEC AMG - Coupe - 199/261 - 300 HP Custom Built Motor - Highly Modified Coupe

Last edited by mclare; 07-09-2011 at 10:30 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

And thinking about it, there are two transmission volumes.

Current Stable:

#9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1981 300SD Biodiesel
Also a maintenance manuel that covers all cars for a period.

@Mike. Cool on the iBooks conversion. Is it completely worthless on the iPhone? I have a small collection of various PDF's on my phone but it be great to have the whole CD set on there just for reference in a pinch. Sounds like I need to get an iPad.
#10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 11:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by liammarsh View Post
Also a maintenance manuel that covers all cars for a period.

@Mike. Cool on the iBooks conversion. Is it completely worthless on the iPhone? I have a small collection of various PDF's on my phone but it be great to have the whole CD set on there just for reference in a pinch. Sounds like I need to get an iPad.
Liam, PM me your email and I'll send them. Wrthless to me cuz they are hard to read, and because I have the iPad. I wrap the iPad in Saran Wrap and take it out to the shop so I don't get the paper books too dirty.

Current Stable:

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.