Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

MPG

672 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  lahiru 
#1 ·
Hello,I have a questions for all 300se owner!If you are travel on the free way cruising 60 mph and your rpm should be at 3000 ?The reasons i asked because that what my car show but i feel like my rpm just a bit high.And how many gears are they suppost to have for my tranny?I count my 1 2 3 and revert is that sound right? my mpg is realy poor around 12 to 15 mpg.I just wonder is it about the right number? and I know my car is 21 year old (210000).Thanks

#2 ·
Very common question... and I would start with searching the archives. You'll find lots of valuable info:thumbsup:

The 300SE will have a 4 speed automatic... starting off at 2nd gear, unless you nail the accelerator pedal where it will kick down to 1st gear.

The M103 3.0 motor revs high... so your RPM's are normal. These engines can rev high all day long.

When I had a 300SEL, I was getting about 17-20mpg. If you're getting figures lower, then you may need to do a tune up (air filter, wires, spark plugs -non resistor type, dist cap and rotor). With mileage that high... I'd be curious to know how much oil its burning. Usually by that mileage.. you're looking at freshening up the heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.