Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Retrofitting gen2 console wood switch panels possible?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jhodg5ck 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, just wondering if it's possible to switch the console wood panel and window switches from a gen2 car into a gen1 car? I think I remember seeing that the second series cars had lighter gauge wiring there, so do they just operate a relay somewhere or do they work the window motors directly? At least you would have to re-wire the new ones in, but is that possible?

From this:

To this:

I'm thinking of ordering a new one, but much prefer the newer style with the individual buttons.

The other thing I noticed was that the second series cars climate unit have a slightly different push-button layout. Is the difference just the push-button unit or the wood panel as well?

Last question is whether you can do the same for the sunroof switch. A while ago I put in a gen2 front head liner where the interior light is, since it has a better reading light, but realised the sunroof switch is there. I guess the simple solution is to put a factory blanking plate there but could you wire it in? Is it also possible to retro-fit a tilt and slide sunroof or does the bodywork not allow it? (dramas I know).

See less See more
#2 ·
you likely Could re-wire, but I can't comment w/ 100% certainty.

the fitting of the later sunroof, Maybe, but again, never had Anyone ask nor have I ever looked into just what would be necessary.

But this does make me want to ask, why not buy a Gen II...;-)

jono

#3 · (Edited)
I want to keep my car since I'm re-conditioning an EU 500 to put in and I've basically got everything worked out on it. Almost now sls systems (new struts, redone pump, valve) new front shocks, rebuilt steering box, rebuilt P/S, front end bushings, good interior. It's also had a pretty decent paint job before I bought it and I only paid 3.5k for the car, which here is pretty darn cheap. The ones that I'd be looking at if I went the replacement route would be 8-10k, and would need some work as well. 126s here for the price I paid are total beaters. Since it's a second car, that's not really an option at the moment and living in Sidney makes it hard enough already to have 2 cars! I know if I keep going I'd easily sink that amount into it but I'm just kidding myself for the time being that it was a cheap car :) I seem to have a problem parting with cars that I've worked on... (car hoarder?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.