Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bought a playmate for my 560SEC

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  vdubpower 
#1 ·
With my SEC sorted out, including most recent replacement of timing chain, tensioner, rails, etc. at 98K, I have been looking for a SEL to add to my stable. Over the past few months I have looked at probably 8-10 SEL'S, including 300SELS, 420SEL'S as well as 560SEL'S

There are some really ROUGH examples of these cars offered for sale. When a new listing for a 1990 One Owner Artic White 560SEL with 122K on the clock, and period correct AMG Aero 1 wheels, popped up for sale at $4,995, I thought, OK, that seems like a reasonable asking price and how cool would it be to have the same year, color combo in both a SEC AND SEL?

So I drove my coupe the 60 miles or so to Alhambra, Ca. to see this 1 owner sedan offered at $5K. I went over the car thoroughly, test drove it, both
on city streets as well as the freeway.

Presenting the dealership with my list of all things needing attention, I OFFERED 3K. I knew I had about 1.5K in costs to put things right, plus the 1.5K to do the timing chain, etc That was OK though, as the A/C blew ice cold, the engine ran at the correct temp, oil pressure,vacuum pressure. Idle correct,engine ran thru full RPM's with no miss, transmission shifted correctly
and at proper points, no roughness moving into reverse or other gears, ALL switches and power seats,power windows,power sunroof operating properly, all seat heater as well as rear seat recliner working properly. The paint was very nice with only minimal rock chips, the interior near flawless with the
exception of slight cracking in the leather at front top of armrest.

This would put me in this car at 6K. Anyway, after 2-3 hours (no kidding)
of wrangling, we settled @ 3.5 K, so I drove it off as my wife followed in my coupe.

I took it to my mechanic, he went over the car completely, result- 4 new tires, rotors turned ,new front calipers, new front shocks, new brake lines alignment. TOTAL COST- $1,500 GEE, EXACTLY WHAT I ESTIMATED AND EXACTLY WHAT I POINTED OUT TO SELLER (OK, I MISSED THE RUBBER BRAKE LINES.)

I have learned so much from this forum over the last year and a half, i just wanted to give a SHOUT OUT to ALL members, thank you for sharing all
your knowledge. I feel like a quasi-expert on these cars, and in fact, my mechanic says I am his only customer who he "talks turkey" with, and when I need any repair, he quotes me his price for each part, and then I tell him what I can get the part for, and he tries to match the price or meet me in the middle.

He must really like me to do this, and he tells me I know more about my particular car than any customer he has ever seen, maybe even some mechanics ! Ha Ha Ha

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Beautiful matching pair!!! How do you decide which one to drive?

Mike

#16 ·
Nice Wheels!!!! Ok, I am a little bias.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.