Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

new toy: 1991 350SD

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ianrandom 
#1 ·
Call it stupidity, call it masochism, but yesterday I decided to get myself a 20 year old MB with 206,000 miles on it. OK, it's a diesel, thus should run forever ... but wait, it's a rod-bender, thus probably will not run forever.

Good: does not smoke; decent condition (need a new grill and driver seat needs to be redone); cold AC; runs very smoothly.

not so good: leaks more diesel than it uses - will be replacing all of the old rubber lines; tranny jerks when shifting (mostly from park to drive); don't feel turbo boost at all.

So, maybe someone can help me:

1) According to the data card, block should be 603970 12 004137 - but I cannot find that number anywhere on the block - where should it be?

2) Heads are 603 016 17 01 (i.e. original to 1991)

3) Switch over valve's vacuum lines are completely disconnected - I don't even know where these wires should go to. Based on a diagram I saw, one of them should do to ALDA, but I cannot figure out where on ALDA it should connect to. Any diagrams? Photos?

4) one of the sensors on the thermostat housing had broken/disconnected wires (fixed)

5) I have read that wastegate should be cleaned (or at least I thought I read that). General question, what areas need to be cleaned (i.e. what parts of the motor/turbo collect deposits which I need to clean out)?

6) What should be the boost pressure for the turbo? What should be the vacuum pressure at idle?

7) how do I know if I need new glow plugs?

8) The interior smells like diesel (since it was leaking the the engine bay for a very long time) and it also has the 'musky' smell of an old car - What should I do/use to bring back that nice clean smell of a new car?

9) Should I change any of the gaskets (as a preemptive action, even though they might now leak right now)? If so, which ones?

10) Turbo does not seem to work - what should I check/fix/repair...?

11) Does anyone have a year by year summary as to what has been changed (external, internal, engine, drive train, etc.)?

... any specific maintenance service I MUST do asap?

Some current scans: 1991 MB 350SD pictures by sxc505 - Photobucket

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Vlad

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. You wont get much love here with the 350sd. Can't comment on most of your questions, maybe some of the few other owners can help you. I've had mine for a few months but it's been sitting, I need to take care of some maintenance issues before I start driving it. A couple things though, the fuel smell could possibly be a leaking fuel line on driver side (mine leaks), musty smell could be water/moisture under the carpet. Later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.