Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

For Sale: 1981 300SD 4 Speed and lots of extra parts!

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  DrewGerhan 
#1 ·
Well guys, I think it is time to put my SD up for sale. I just bought a Powerstroke and cannot justify the two vehicles currently, as much as I love the old girl.

I guess I'll start.... (sorry if seems scatter brained, its not in any particular order)

Bought it back in 2005 I think. Had 178,xxx miles if I remember correctly. Just your run of the mill SD. Bone Stock. Had the normal quirks, tach amp broke, window regulator clips broke, needed valve adjustment and so on. Did all this and got it up to snuff. It has been my daily driver since I got it.

Last summer I took out the old automatic trans and swapped in a manual from an 82 240D. New clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, master cylinder, flywheel resurfaced, fabbed a driveshaft, modified speedo from 300D..... really did not leave anything out. This really makes the car more driveable and fun to drive!

Other than that she is mostly stock. ALDA has been removed and timing is at 24* BTDC. She is quite peppy. Wastegate is set to 12psi. EGR junk was removed from the valve cover and vacuum was simplified when the manual was put in. Had a hood stack on it for a month or two and used an extra hood. Took it off and put the straight pipe back on.

New parts.... where to start?
I've got all my receipts in a folder, but thats at home and I'm at school.
All new parts during Summer 2010:
starter
clutch disc
pressure plate
throwout bearing
pilot bearing
master cylinder
trans mount
carrier bearing and mount
motor mounts
tie rods (both sides)
rear calipers
rear pads (ceramic)
rear rotors
front pads (ceramic)
front rotors
front wheel bearings and seals
air filter
manifold gasket
updated primer pump

Other new parts since purchased:
49 series battery (7 year)
five Bosch glow plugs
manual glow plug relay
updated AL129X alternator
front calipers
front shocks
rear shocks (HD)
silverstar ultra headlights
leds in instrument cluster and turn signals
hood pad
removable hood emblem
straight pipe exhaust

I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting put this is going off memory. I'll update if I think of anything else.

I did put an Alpine headunit in 2 years ago with iPod control and everything. In the trunk is a 400w (I think) amp for the four speakers and an 800w amp for the two 12' Pioneer subs. The headunit and four speakers go with the car. The two amps and subs stay with me or can be included for extra. The front speakers are Pioneer 4x6s and the two rear were custom fit into the rear shelf that I reinforced with 1/4" plywood. They are Pioneer 6x9s.

As far as rust goes, it has been a northern car. The worst spot has got to be in the drivers side fenderwell thing in the trunk. The bottom is about gone and there is a hole above the tire. The drivers door has a rust hole about the size of a dime that I sanded down and POR-15'ed this summer to try to stop. There is another spot on both front fenders by the turn signals that has rust bubbles too. The passenger side behind the front tire is rusty too. Its about where the passenger would put their feet except under the car. Floorboards are solid though. From my memory, thats all I can think of. Again, I'll update if I think of any more.

Now for the bonus stuff.... the spare parts. I have been to the junkyard countless times. Not necessarily needing something every time, so I have accumulated quite a few parts. List is from memory so updates come if stuff is remembered.
two MW injection pumps
one M injection pump and lines
exhaust manifold
set of tail lights
at least a dozen injectors
homemade injector pop tester
16" Centra (?) wheels
set of chrome lug nuts
two instrument clusters and associated gauges
first aid kit
factory tool kit
extra wiper blades
ignition lock
rear brake hoses
countless emblems (gas, diesel and star)
glow plug relay
window switches
various dash switches
two brake fluid resivoirs
automatic brake pedal assembly
brake master cylinder
air cleaner assembly
spectre air cleaner and elbow set up for propane injection (hose, regulator and solenoid too)
a/c hose
two intercoolers from 1st and 2nd gen Talon
power stering pump
two or three cruise actuators
front seat track and motors
power door switches
sunshade visors
speaker grilles

Pictures of the car from this summer:

Video with the stack (since removed):

Replacement vehicle (not for sale):

As far as pricing goes, I do not want to split everything up and part the car, but might if thats what it takes to get it sold. I'd like to get $3000 for the car and the parts. $3250 if you want the subs and amps too. This of course is not a final price by any means. If you want it and have an offer, send me a PM. Worst I'll say is no.

The car is currently in Athens, OH (Ohio University) and it will be in Avon Lake, OH (44012) on Memorial Day weekend. If you are local to either place and want to look at it, shoot me a PM and we can arrange something. It is in covered parking right now and is not a problem to come see it.

Once again, everything above is from memory and I will add/change things if I remember them and what not. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Drew

See less See more
#2 ·
I understand that the stack is not for everyone. I did use an extra hood, so the original one is in good shape. As far as the turbo goes, it was not damaged or anything from the stack. Always covered in rain and what not.

Took some videos of the car today to help with any clarification and just more info.

#3 ·
Car has got to go! It is back in Avon Lake (suburb of Cleveland) now. I would like to see it go to someone that can appreciate it rather than eBay, but if it gets no attention here then I've got to. I'm open to offers. If the price is no good, shoot me an email with your best price. It might just work out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.